Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

Default Permatex "Right Stuff" spray on gasket maker?

Has anyone got any idea on how this stuff
compares in hardness to o-rings of say... 70 durometer?

I don't know anything about durometers so don't
know how to compare them to the data in the tech
data sheets on the Permatex website.

Thanks,

Weyland

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On 19 Apr 2006 19:36:40 -0700, "Weyland"
wrote:

Has anyone got any idea on how this stuff
compares in hardness to o-rings of say... 70 durometer?

I don't know anything about durometers so don't
know how to compare them to the data in the tech
data sheets on the Permatex website.

Thanks,

Weyland

Right stuff is pretty soft - likely closer to 30 than 70.
For 70 you will want urethane more likely than silicone
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

clare wrote:

Right stuff is pretty soft - likely closer to 30 than 70.
For 70 you will want urethane more likely than silicone

I checked the data sheets and it looks like all the urethanes
that they (Permatex) have a temperature limit of 180 degrees.
I need something that will handle something closer to 275.
Realistically, it shouldn't ever get over 230, but you never know...

Best,

Weyland

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary A. Gorgen

Weyland wrote:
Has anyone got any idea on how this stuff
compares in hardness to o-rings of say... 70 durometer?

I don't know anything about durometers so don't
know how to compare them to the data in the tech
data sheets on the Permatex website.

I just went through the durometer thing.
Not having a clue what the numbers ment.

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com
Search for foam.
select Mil-spec.

There is a chart that shows all of the durometer scales
& firmness rating.

Hope this helps.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

Gary A. Gorgen wrote:

I just went through the durometer thing.
Not having a clue what the numbers ment.

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com
Search for foam.
select Mil-spec.

There is a chart that shows all of the durometer scales
& firmness rating.
Hope this helps.

Excellent~! Yes, it does indeed help. Thank you.

Now... just have to figure out *which* durometer
scale they're using for Buna-N O-rings...

Best,

Weyland

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary A. Gorgen

Weyland wrote:
Gary A. Gorgen wrote:

I just went through the durometer thing.
Not having a clue what the numbers ment.

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com
Search for foam.
select Mil-spec.

There is a chart that shows all of the durometer scales
& firmness rating.
Hope this helps.

Excellent~! Yes, it does indeed help. Thank you.

Now... just have to figure out *which* durometer
scale they're using for Buna-N O-rings...

Best,

Weyland

Shore-A it looks like.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
c.henry

shore -d
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

c.henry wrote:
shore -d

?!?!?!?

No offense, but I find it kind of hard to believe a
Buna-N O-ring that I can pinch pretty well between
my nails is rated almost as hard as a construction hard-hat.

.... or am I missing/not understanding something...?

Best,

Weyland

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
c.henry

my mistake , it is shore a .. see
http://o-rings.globalspec.com/LearnM.../Seals/O_rings

did not see the other post till today or i would have double checked