Posted to alt.home.repair
sylvan butler[_8_] sylvan butler[_8_] is offline

Default Attaching basement pole covers with "Great Stuff"?

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:56:34 -0800 (PST), Mike wrote:
covers are already in place. They're simply flopping around in the
poles, waiting to be attached to something, somehow. I originally
planned to drill a couple of holes in the top and bottom into which I
would inject some expanding foam. This was the original plan, but it

this plan was ill-advised. Should I continue on this path, or should
I try to remove them and implement one of these? Assuming the
expanding foam idea is a good one, is there a brand/type that is
ideally suited to this application? Worst case is that it won't
work, and I'll be no worse off than I am now.

I agree. Try foam. Avoid DAP latex, it has no stick and very weak body
strength -- it won't do anything for you except cost money and make a
mess. Most any polyurethane foam will have adhesive properties.

I'd probably try the low expanding ("for windows and doors") version of
Great Stuff. Don't fill the cavity full, but only injecting foam at top
and bottom will likely be fine even with regular foam since it will have
plenty of room to expand vertically.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen? http://PcScreenWatch.com