Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Attaching basement pole covers with "Great Stuff"?

I probably should have been more clear in my original post - the wood
covers are already in place. They're simply flopping around in the
poles, waiting to be attached to something, somehow. I originally
planned to drill a couple of holes in the top and bottom into which I
would inject some expanding foam. This was the original plan, but it
appears, from the responses, so far, that there are other, perhaps
better plans. Nevertheless, this is where I am. I'm wondering if
this plan was ill-advised. Should I continue on this path, or should
I try to remove them and implement one of these? Assuming the
expanding foam idea is a good one, is there a brand/type that is
ideally suited to this application? Worst case is that it won't
work, and I'll be no worse off than I am now.

On Feb 12, 10:24 am, Mike wrote:
I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). How do I attach
these things to the posts? I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? Any other suggestions?