Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Attaching basement pole covers with "Great Stuff"?

Mike wrote:
I bought some nice looking octagonal oak surrounds for my basement
poles. I've glued them up and they look pretty nice, albeit a bit
70's (but I'm not looking for decorating advice). How do I attach
these things to the posts? I thought about using an expanding foam,
but experience suggests that this could be a PITA (Great Stuff is very
good at pulling glue joints apart). What kind of expanding foam is
well suited to this? Any other suggestions?

How wide is the gap between the pole and the surround? If it is small,
then construction adhesive. If it is larger, then use construction
adhesive to attach blocks to the pole, then glue the surrounds to the
blocks.

I wouldn't use foam for this, but if you must, then look for minimal
expanding foam.

http://www.touch-n-foam.com/foamminimal.htm

http://www.reddevil.com/products.cfm?c=me&cat=45

http://www.shophometrends.com/produc...cd2=1202837613