Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default refrigerator door is not closing tightly.

LouB wrote:
Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand is
sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.

Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.

Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)

Ideas (other than buy a new one)?

Move enough stuff out of the way the door isn't hitting...

Not enough info --

Possibilities...

Hinges sagging/worn on nylon inset bearings?
Magnetic seal worn/collapsed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:33:59 -0500, LouB wrote:

Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand is
sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.

Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.

Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)

Ideas (other than buy a new one)?

TIA

Lou

The seals at the hinge side of the door may be folding over and
resisting closure. Manually distort/overcorrect the seals upon
next closure. Let the fridge/seals set and then see if it operates
better. If so buy new seals or try to correct the old ones with a
little persuasion of the heat from a hair dryer. Also clean the seal
contact surfaces so that they are more slick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

These are very expensive. I would not replace it for a poor
fitting door gasket. Most closing problems are hinge related.
Loosen the hinges, close the door, make sure the gasket is in good
condition, set hinges where the gasket can make a good seal and
not be pinched/rubbed/hung-up as it closes. If the gasket is
damaged, it is fairly easy to replaced, but it sounds like your
problem is hinge bind of some type.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"LouB" wrote in message
Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand
is sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.

Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.

Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)

Ideas (other than buy a new one)?

TIA

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote in :

Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand is
sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.

Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.

Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)

Ideas (other than buy a new one)?

TIA

Lou

Might think this is silly but does the door have stuff loaded in it?

Does any part of the gasket make good contact? If so, (this suggestion
comes from a human being in the appliance repair business) many units are
made with a flexible door. You grab high with one hand and low with the
other. Push with one hand and pull with the other.

Being 15+ yrs old, the rubber may just no longer be flexible enough for
the magnet(s) to pull in when it gets close.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:33:59 -0500, LouB wrote:

Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand is
sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.

Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.

Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)

Ideas (other than buy a new one)?

TIA

Lou

Take dishwashing detergent and clean the seal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote :

Friends have a large built-in made in 1992. I think the brand is
sub-zero. No freezer in this large box.
Door does not close tightly unless pushed tight.
Machine appears to be tipped back a little (as it should be)
Ideas (other than buy a new one)?
TIA
Lou

Might think this is silly but does the door have stuff loaded in it?

Does any part of the gasket make good contact? If so, (this suggestion
comes from a human being in the appliance repair business) many units are
made with a flexible door. You grab high with one hand and low with the
other. Push with one hand and pull with the other.

Being 15+ yrs old, the rubber may just no longer be flexible enough for
the magnet(s) to pull in when it gets close.

Use a bungie cord.

Thought of that but...

Seven year old child is a major user.
Daddy has MS and is in a wheelchair.
Those two items mean cord would probably be too tight.
Also, Unit is a built-in and I can not see where to attach a cord.

Thanks anyway.

Lou