Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator door pops when opening and closing

Hi all,

I have a 9 month old Kenmore side by side refrigerator. The fridge
door recently started making a loud (expensive sounding) pop when I
open it and again when I close it. Sounds like it is coming from the
lower hinge.

I'm afraid I damaged the hinge with too great a load on the door. Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I have a 9 month old Kenmore side by side refrigerator. The fridge
door recently started making a loud (expensive sounding) pop when I
open it and again when I close it. Sounds like it is coming from the
lower hinge.

I'm afraid I damaged the hinge with too great a load on the door. Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Can't address that specific brand, but all the lower hinges I have seen
have a "cam action" bushing and yes that is what happens when it breaks and
yes that is what causes it.

Contrary to what they show in the pictures, those hinges are not designed to
carry the load you can place on them. Just a lot of consumer advertising
going on in those pictures.