Junior Member

Default Self-closing Door Hinges

Hi there,

I have an interior door that I want to gently self-close, when it is left open. Now I know you can get rising-butt hinges to do this, but the problem is that there's only 4cm clearance between the top of the door and ceiling. So, fitting the door up and onto standard rising-butt hinges would be impossible.

So, how do I solve this problem? Can you get mini rising-butt hinges? Or perhaps spring-loaded hinges?
BigWallop

"image165" wrote in message

Hi there,

I have an interior door that I want to gently self-close, when it is
left open. Now I know you can get rising-butt hinges to do this, but
the problem is that there's only 4cm clearance between the top of the
door and ceiling. So, fitting the door up and onto standard rising-butt
hinges would be impossible.

So, how do I solve this problem? Can you get mini rising-butt hinges?
Or perhaps spring-loaded hinges?

image165

Or rising butt hinges that only lift the door by 1cm. Have you thought
about getting the bottom hinge to make the rise for you? You can set the
bottom hinge out from the normal flush position by just a few millimetres
and this will create a small rise in the door as it opens. It will also
make the door swing slowly closed again.

Try experimenting with the bottom hinge fixed with only screw in the
standard and one in the door. Try placing the hinge pin slightly out from
the normal position and see what happens.

Christian McArdle

Now I know you can get rising-butt hinges to do this, but
the problem is that there's only 4cm clearance between the
top of the door and ceiling.

I don't see the problem here. Just preassemble the hinges before screwing to
the frame. The ability to lift it off isn't really required.

Christian.

Colin Wilson

So, how do I solve this problem? Can you get mini rising-butt hinges?
Or perhaps spring-loaded hinges?

I`ve got one of the springy things mounted on a door in our living room,
and have set the spring so its quite slack and won`t force the door to
close (otherwise our dogs would be locked in)

Just how gentle, and how well do you want it to close ? - in our case we
have the spring loosened off so it stays open 3-4" but if you want it to
close fully i`m guessing that wouldn`t work for you.

You know what, you might have just hit upon an idea for a new product
based on the lines of the one I link to, but with hydraulic dampers to
control the mech properly...

Junior Member

Thanks Christian. I hadn't thought of that. Such a simple solution. Good thinking :-)

nog

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:26:05 +0000, image165 wrote:

Thanks Christian. I hadn't thought of that. Such a simple solution. Good
thinking :-)

Would you like to share it?