Brett Miller

Default Req suggestions to keep door from closing.

Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

RicodJour

Brett Miller wrote:
Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

If you mean keep it from swinging close on its own, pull one of the
hinge pins, lay it on a block of wood and give it a swat in the middle
with a hammer. It doesn't have to be a real hard swat. You're just
deforming the pin a bit so it'll bind. Normally that's a bad thing,
but probably what you're looking to do.

The door is swinging close because it isn't hung plumb.

Al Bundy

RicodJour wrote:
Brett Miller wrote:
Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

If you mean keep it from swinging close on its own, pull one of the
hinge pins, lay it on a block of wood and give it a swat in the middle
with a hammer. It doesn't have to be a real hard swat. You're just
deforming the pin a bit so it'll bind. Normally that's a bad thing,
but probably what you're looking to do.

The door is swinging close because it isn't hung plumb.

Or he could buy a $3 door closer at the hardware and use the built in
stop that holds a door in position. We have a door that wants to close
under spring pressure and we stuff a silicone lizard in it when going
out for short times.

PS. The playing card is supposed to go between the striker and the
latch. The poster is not listening close enough to his Watergate type
friends.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Brett Miller" wrote in message
Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Jack of diamonds works best.

Bill Gill

Brett Miller wrote:
Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Ok, you don't want a door stop, but that is what I am
going to suggest. I use door stops made of small bags
filled with gravel. The bags I use have a loop handle,
so when I am not using them I pick them up and hang them
on the door knob. They aren't heavy duty stops, just
enough to keep the door from swinging shut. By hanging
them on the door knob they are always available.

The bags I am using actually came from the $1.00 store.
They are childrens purses. I chose them because they
were small enough, had handles to hang them by, and had
zipper closers.

Good luck
Bill Gill

Jim Jacobs

I had the same problem with 3 doors. Each door required a different
thickness of wood shim under the bottom hinge. It depends on how much the
door jamb is out of plumb. I just kept increasing the thickness of the shim
until the door stayed open. I put the shim under the bottom hinge against
the jamb.

Good Luck

Jim

"Brett Miller" wrote in message
Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

RicodJour

Al Bundy wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Brett Miller wrote:
[...]

OP didn't ask how to keep the door from latching, he asked how to keep
it from swinging closed. The playing card was advised as a shim placed
behind the offending hinges to make the door hang plumb. Depending on
the situation, that may work, but it may also interfere with the
spacing between the door and frame.

Jeff Wisnia

Brett Miller wrote:
Besides the obvious use of a door stop, is there a way to keep
a door from closing when it is left in the open position?
I had heard a playing card under the bottom hinge would work,
but it didn't.
Perhaps I tried the wrong card, dunno.
But if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

You could wait and hope that the upcoming change to the Supreme Court
enabled by O'connor's resignation today will result in a better chance
that they will repeal the law of gravity.

That will make about as much sense as the eminent domain decision they
made within the last week.

OT, I tried the buggered hinge pin thing to keep my office door from
swinging shut. While it worked, I couldn't stand the unnatural drag I
felt every time I had a needed to open or close the door.

I bought a commercial door holder for $3. It uses a ball shaped part
mounted to the door and a spring loaded socket on the wall base
moulding. (It works so well that it brings to mind the times I've had to
toss a bucket of water on two dogs.)

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia