Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wetbed on shower floor a necessity?

Hi,

My contractor is not planning to use a wet bed on my bathroom floor
and will instead use some kind of a backerboard (and also mentioned
the name "Schluter" although I understand it to be a shower floor
product).

I will live in this house for another 5-10 years.

My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a
must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for
one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a
must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for
one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Times and technologies change. Wet bed is the old way to do it. Now
you can go out and buy fiber reinforced cement backer board that's the
same material as a wet bed, only reinforced and in sheet form. It's
quicker and easier to install. Joints are taped and plastered just
like drywall, but using thinset mortar and fiber tape. A layer of
thinset mortar to bed the tiles in, and you're done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would post your question on the forums at: www.johnbridge.com
That forum has a great group of professional and DYI tile installers.

I believe that a properly installed Schluter system will be a high
quality installation. This is not a cheap and dirty system. That the
tile installer suggested it indicated that he has kept up with his
profession. But I could be wrong. Ask the pros at the site above.

On Jan 29, 11:08*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My contractor is not planning to use a wet bed on my bathroom floor
and will instead use some kind of a backerboard (and also mentioned
the name "Schluter" although I understand it to be a shower floor
product).

I will live in this house for another 5-10 years.

My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a
must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for
one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Aaron Fude wrote:
My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a
must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for
one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Times and technologies change. Wet bed is the old way to do it. Now
you can go out and buy fiber reinforced cement backer board that's the
same material as a wet bed, only reinforced and in sheet form. It's
quicker and easier to install. Joints are taped and plastered just
like drywall, but using thinset mortar and fiber tape. A layer of
thinset mortar to bed the tiles in, and you're done.

Most backer board and thinset is not waterproof. A sealing layer or liner is
still needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My contractor is not planning to use a wet bed on my bathroom floor
and will instead use some kind of a backerboard (and also mentioned
the name "Schluter" although I understand it to be a shower floor
product).

I will live in this house for another 5-10 years.

My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a
must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for
one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Take a look here.
http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

I believe that Schluter has the finest systems and parts to facilitate
tile installation. I've used it frequently in my home.

The key, as with all technologies, is the proper use. All to often I
see contractors open the box, remove and discard the instructions, and
then "do it the way I've always done it." This is where the problems
start.

Boden