Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When to lay the floor tiles and shower trays on a solid floor.

Me again...

Firstly, in the bathroom, is it better to lay the floor tiles before fitting
the toilet and hand basin, then sit them on top of the tiles?
(I have a solid floor)

Secondly, still in the bathroom, I want to install a shower cubicle in my
bathroom with a solid floor.
I don't really want to raise the tray, so can I just chisel out the floor to
accommodate the waste pipe?
(although this room is on the ground floor, there is a height difference of
about a foot between the bathroom floor and the patio outside, so running
the waste lower then the bathroom floor level is not an issue)

Thanks!

--

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:

Firstly, in the bathroom, is it better to lay the floor tiles before fitting
the toilet and hand basin, then sit them on top of the tiles?
(I have a solid floor)

Yes - tile first: much neater.

Secondly, still in the bathroom, I want to install a shower cubicle in my
bathroom with a solid floor.
I don't really want to raise the tray, so can I just chisel out the floor to
accommodate the waste pipe?

Why don't you want to raise the tray? Much easier having it standing on
a plinth, all the more so with a solid floor. Apart from anything else,
if you do stand the tray on the ground, you'll need to be able to get
your hands under the front to access the trap/pipes etc to install them
in the first place. A plinth also gives access for servicing in the
event of any problems later. Plus, depending on the structure of your
floor, you might easily end up digging down through the DPC while
excavating your floor.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Firstly, in the bathroom, is it better to lay the floor tiles before
fitting the toilet and hand basin, then sit them on top of the tiles?
(I have a solid floor)

Absolutely. Definitely install the tiles first. Doing it afterwards looks
like a bodge and is far more difficult, too.

I don't really want to raise the tray, so can I just chisel out the floor
to accommodate the waste pipe?

That depends on the floor construction. You may find you are digging through
the DPM, which would be a bad thing.

Christian.