Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Wetbed on shower floor a necessity?

wrote in message
Aaron Fude wrote:
My understanding always was that a wet bed on the shower floor is a
must. Do you agree with that and if so can you give me arguments for
one way or the the other or send me links that discuss this.

Times and technologies change. Wet bed is the old way to do it. Now
you can go out and buy fiber reinforced cement backer board that's the
same material as a wet bed, only reinforced and in sheet form. It's
quicker and easier to install. Joints are taped and plastered just
like drywall, but using thinset mortar and fiber tape. A layer of
thinset mortar to bed the tiles in, and you're done.

Most backer board and thinset is not waterproof. A sealing layer or liner is
still needed.