Posted to alt.home.repair
Mansour

Default Vinyl Floor and Standing Shower, damaged floor edge

Hi:

The bath room has a vinyl sheet floor that is in good shape except a
width of like 1" as it reaches the standing shower base. The outside
of the base is somewhat similar to the picture below that I fond on
internet, except that the 2 outer edges are round:

http://www.sheriballrealtor.com/MVC-404F.JPG

Is there a good way of correcting the situation? I do not have any
vinyl sheet to replace. I thought of using something like a flexible
trim or wall base but could not find something that could cover like 1"
of the floor in a nice way. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Mansour

Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Well, if you don't feel like putting in an entirely new floor (1" isn't
much worth it I suppose), I'd maybe just put a decorative trim around
it, almost like a door threshold. I'd buy a 2" wide piece of moulding
of some kind, like you would use around a door frame, but just lay it
flat on the floor. The round parts will be a pain, but you can do it
with some careful cutting, jigsawing, utility-knifing, etc.

Paint all surfaces of the trim after cutting, but before installing,
with something decently waterproof. I'd paint it to match the floor
(white, clear wood finish, whatever). Make sure the floor is absolutely
dry. Then run a little caulk all along the shower/wood crack, along the
top edge of the vinyl, lay down the trim, and fasten with a couple of
finish nails. THe idea is to keep water out from underneath the vinyl
especially, and out from under the trim as well.

If the curves are big, you might start with a 4" wide piece of trim,
lay them out, then "scribe" a line to match the curve of the shower,
then cut it down leaving only about 2" remaining.