Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When will you consider taking the entire ceiling sheet rock down?

I am doing some extensive remodeling and the ceiling sheet rock is
beginning to look like a battlefield.

Holes cut out for ceiling fans.

Holes cut out to investigate where some mysterious wires/pipes run to.

Holes cut out to run new EMT pipes.

Holes cut out for new recessed cans.

Holes cut out for new AC duct outlet location.

Existing hole for AC duct outlet that is to be relocated.

Existing holes from existing fixtures that are to be eliminated.

Some holes were cut with hole saw (clean) and some holes were made
using a hammer (the contractor didn't have a saw handy so he pounded a
hole out creating an irregular shaped hole larger than necessary)...

I am wondering, may be it's easier to take the whole thing down and
redo new sheetrock, but then I have to cut the holes, tape the joints
etc...I am not sure which is more work, a LOT of patches or do new
sheet rock?

or should this decision be left to the sheetrock guy - quote me how
much to patch and how much to take down and do new to see if it's
close?

Thanks in advance,

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:53:12 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
I am doing some extensive remodeling and the ceiling sheet rock is
beginning to look like a battlefield.

Think outside the box:

1. Wallpaper the ceiling.

Remove cats first!

2. Staple (or glue) ceiling tile to the existing junk.

Check for cats in the ceiling.

3. Skylight.
4. ???

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 28, 4:02*pm, wrote:
[...]

Is there any particular reason you can't just sheetrock right over the
existing sheetrock?

Otherwise, patch it and then popcorn it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there any particular reason you can't just sheetrock right over the
existing sheetrock?

I wouldn't. Way too heavy on a ceiling.

Otherwise, patch it and then popcorn it.-

Great idea. Did that once...covers all sins!

--Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 1:22�pm, Jeff B wrote:
Is there any particular reason you can't just sheetrock right over the
existing sheetrock?

I wouldn't. �Way too heavy on a ceiling.

Otherwise, patch it and then popcorn it.-

Great idea. �Did that once...covers all sins!

--Jeff

What about full-depth patches with little concern for cosmetics, then
using 1/4" over the whole ceiling? That way the drywall is still at
full thickness for any fire codes, and you'd still have the clean, new
drywall ceiling, right? Glued and screwed, of course. The biggest
problem would be locating joists for screwing. Would there be a
sagging problem with that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Excellent advice! On the same par as turning off the circuit breaker
before messing with the electric.

Yes but that's not an internet classic meme like Ceiling Cat:

http://www.ceilingcat.com/img/ceilingcat.jpg
http://www.ceilingcat.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:23:08 -0000, Steve Kraus
wrote:

Excellent advice! On the same par as turning off the circuit breaker
before messing with the electric.

Yes but that's not an internet classic meme like Ceiling Cat:

http://www.ceilingcat.com/img/ceilingcat.jpg

It sums up the point.

Count cats before you close the ceiling.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Excellent advice! On the same par as turning off the circuit breaker
before messing with the electric.

Yes but that's not an internet classic meme like Ceiling Cat:

http://www.ceilingcat.com/img/ceilingcat.jpg

It sums up the point.

Count cats before you close the ceiling.

Or the cat will count coup?

How to fasten ceiling sheet rock? MiamiCuse Home Repair 6 September 26th 07 12:51 AM
Should I take down the entire ceiling? MiamiCuse Home Repair 7 August 20th 07 02:35 AM
Attaching sheet rock to a 2x4 ceiling Steve Home Ownership 39 October 14th 06 06:56 AM
Sheet rock Tc DiVincenzo Home Repair 10 April 21st 06 12:30 AM
basement ceiling sheet rock over gas/water lines superspongegirl Home Repair 10 October 31st 05 04:16 PM