Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I take down the entire ceiling?

My dinning room has a water stain on one side - damaged from hurricane
Wilma. I am remodeling that side, pulling up the carpet, peeling wall paper
etc...I am also pulling down that part of the ceiling (about 20 x 16). The
living room is connected and the ceiling there is ok, but a friend told me
if I were to replace the ceiling sheet rock in the dinning room, I might as
well pull down the living room too (20x20) as it would be difficult to match
the texture. The ceiling is not popcorn but has the half circular shaped
brush stroke, since it will be difficult and costly to do that to the
dinning room side, should I pull them all down and do all new ceiling sheet
rock and go with a smooth finish, instead of one half being new and smooth
and the other half being old and textured?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:

My dinning room has a water stain on one side - damaged from hurricane
Wilma.

Is it just a cosmetic water stain, or is there structural damage to the
sheetrock? If it's just a water stain, you can paint over it with Kilz
and then repaint the ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 1:39 am, BZ wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
My dinning room has a water stain on one side - damaged from hurricane
Wilma.

Is it just a cosmetic water stain, or is there structural damage to the
sheetrock? If it's just a water stain, you can paint over it with Kilz
and then repaint the ceiling.

Good point. And we can't see how the dining room and living room
come together. But if it comes to doing the dining room ceiling
drywall and there is no obvious seperation, then I'd do both ceilings
to make it uniform.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
The ceiling is not popcorn but has the half circular shaped brush stroke,
since it will be difficult and costly to do that to the dinning room side,
should I pull them all down and do all new ceiling sheet rock and go with
a smooth finish, instead of one half being new and smooth and the other
half being old and textured?

If it is cosmetic, I'd consider putting new over the old. If it is
structural or may have mold, I'd tear it down. I'd also go with plain
smooth in both rooms rather than texture. That is based solely on my
personal preference.