Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default When will you consider taking the entire ceiling sheet rock down?

wrote:
I am doing some extensive remodeling and the ceiling sheet rock is
beginning to look like a battlefield.

I am wondering, may be it's easier to take the whole thing down and
redo new sheetrock, but then I have to cut the holes, tape the joints
etc...I am not sure which is more work, a LOT of patches or do new
sheet rock?

or should this decision be left to the sheetrock guy - quote me how
much to patch and how much to take down and do new to see if it's
close?

If you're going to have it done by "the sheetrock guy", you can ask but
you can almost guarantee he'll be cheaper on a clean install rather than
patching. Depends also on what the texturing, if any, was on the
existing as if there's something other than just smooth coat to match,
that's more labor, too. That's assuming you go ahead a do the demo, of
course. Most "hangers" won't want to do the demo; they'll expect
ready-to-hang framing. So, even if he'll quote that part, it's likely
he'll be high dollar for it.

Of course, if there are areas w/ plumbing or other services, one might
want to think carefully the decision to sheetrock it all again solid,
anyway, in favor of something w/ less intrusive access for future repairs...