Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default When will you consider taking the entire ceiling sheet rock down?

On Jan 28, 4:02*pm, wrote:
I am doing some extensive remodeling and the ceiling sheet rock is
beginning to look like a battlefield.

Holes cut out for ceiling fans.

Holes cut out to investigate where some mysterious wires/pipes run to.

Holes cut out to run new EMT pipes.

Holes cut out for new recessed cans.

Holes cut out for new AC duct outlet location.

Existing hole for AC duct outlet that is to be relocated.

Existing holes from existing fixtures that are to be eliminated.

Some holes were cut with hole saw (clean) and some holes were made
using a hammer (the contractor didn't have a saw handy so he pounded a
hole out creating an irregular shaped hole larger than necessary)...

I am wondering, may be it's easier to take the whole thing down and
redo new sheetrock, but then I have to cut the holes, tape the joints
etc...I am not sure which is more work, a LOT of patches or do new
sheet rock?

or should this decision be left to the sheetrock guy - quote me how
much to patch and how much to take down and do new to see if it's
close?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Is there any particular reason you can't just sheetrock right over the
existing sheetrock?

Otherwise, patch it and then popcorn it.