superspongegirl

Default basement ceiling sheet rock over gas/water lines

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and because the joists
are pretty low, I was thinking about sheetrocking the ceiling instead
of installing a dropped ceiling. However, would it be a code violation
to sheetrock over the gas and water lines? We can put in access panels
for the valves, and we can make diagrams of all the pipes etc for
future repairs. But I worry that some future home owner might try to
hang up a plant or something and drill into one of the gas or water
lines (the lines are all copper and run directly below and
perpendicular to the joists) I was also thinking that perhaps there was
a way to "protect" the lines by installing a steel plate or something
under them before putting up the sheet rock?

Jim in PA

I just went through some of the same decisions and decided to put up
furring strips and 1' tile. We don't have immediate access to the
pipes, but we can access valves. If a water pipe should leak, it will
be a simple matter to replace the tiles. Most importantly, we only lost
1.5 inch of headroom.

It was slightly more expensive than drywall, even taking into account
the rental of a drywall lift, but worth it in my opinion, mainly
because I'm tired of drywalling. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Jim in PA

Mikepier

I don't see a problem, just mark out where your pipes are so you don't
drill in them.
Another issue is you may want to insulate the cold water pipe because
it could sweat in the summertime dripping on the sheetrock.

I also am finishing a basement. We decided to use sheetrock for the
ceiling to achieve the finished look. We rerouted some of the plumbing
(it was on the bottom edges of joists) as a result.

Phil Munro

Of course you must NOT seal off (hide) plumbing/gas valves and
electrical junction boxes. They must be accessible, perhaps with a
removable panel. --Phil

Jim in PA wrote:

I just went through some of the same decisions and decided to put up
furring strips and 1' tile. We don't have immediate access to the
pipes, but we can access valves. If a water pipe should leak, it will
be a simple matter to replace the tiles. Most importantly, we only lost
1.5 inch of headroom.

It was slightly more expensive than drywall, even taking into account
the rental of a drywall lift, but worth it in my opinion, mainly
because I'm tired of drywalling. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Jim in PA

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Colbyt

"superspongegirl" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am in the process of finishing my basement, and because the joists
are pretty low, I was thinking about sheetrocking the ceiling instead
of installing a dropped ceiling. However, would it be a code violation
to sheetrock over the gas and water lines? We can put in access panels
for the valves, and we can make diagrams of all the pipes etc for
future repairs. But I worry that some future home owner might try to
hang up a plant or something and drill into one of the gas or water
lines (the lines are all copper and run directly below and
perpendicular to the joists) I was also thinking that perhaps there was
a way to "protect" the lines by installing a steel plate or something
under them before putting up the sheet rock?

To answer your question. You add furring strips to the joists and yes you
can buy 3-4" metal plates to "protect" the pipes. You can not cover an
electrical junction box nor would I cover any cut off valves.

Your plan to map the lines is a good one.

The poster who suggested pipe insulation for the cold water line also made a
good point.

Colbyt

Edwin Pawlowski

Mikepier wrote:
I don't see a problem, just mark out where your pipes are so you don't
drill in them.
Another issue is you may want to insulate the cold water pipe because
it could sweat in the summertime dripping on the sheetrock.

You don't see a problem, but the building inspector will. Water OK, Gas, NO
Check your local codes.

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Shaun Eli

Is the "Don't sheetrock over gas pipes" because someone might drill
through them and pierce the pipe?

ameijers

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is the "Don't sheetrock over gas pipes" because someone might drill
through them and pierce the pipe?

No, it is so if it starts leaking, it won't build up in a dead space, hit
the appropriate vapor pressure range, and blow you up when you flip on a
light or shuffle your feet on the carpeted stairs. Gas pipes are one of the
few things in your house that can kill you silently- that is why they add
the stink. Keeping the pipes exposed mainly makes it much easier to track
down leaks.

aem sends...

Mikepier

ameijers wrote:

No, it is so if it starts leaking, it won't build up in a dead space, hit
the appropriate vapor pressure range, and blow you up when you flip on a
light or shuffle your feet on the carpeted stairs. Gas pipes are one of the
few things in your house that can kill you silently- that is why they add
the stink. Keeping the pipes exposed mainly makes it much easier to track
down leaks.

Agree that keeping pipes exposed is better, but you have gas pipes
enclosed in walls all over the house, such as in the kitchen wall for
your stove, or perhaps a fireplace, or a wall furnace. I admit I do
not know what local codes are, but my point is you can't avoid burying
it. Inevitabely there is going to be some point in which you have to
bury it.

superspongegirl

Thanks for all the input on this. That was a good tip to insulate the
cold water pipes, so we've gone ahead and done that. About the danger
of leaking gas building up in the space above the ceiling, this won't
be an issue because only half of the basement is being finished, and
the other half is open all the way through the joists, so gas would
presumably leak out there. My main concern is having a future
homeowner attempt to blindly drill through the ceiling and hit either a
water pipe or gas line. I'm tempted to just put steel plates below the
lines where they pass under the joists to protect them. Any would-be
driller would attempt to find at least the joists first, right??
Again, we will put in access panels for the one gas valve, and will
make detailed maps of the whole ceiling configuration.