Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Digital TV

Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital
tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box converts
the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality? Most likely
connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive premium
channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if there is
one---. comcast has only one cable box.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:33:48 -0600, Frank wrote:
Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital
tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box converts
the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality? Most likely
connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive premium
channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if there is
one---. comcast has only one cable box.

A cheap 20" tube tv won't have a digital tuner no matter how they hype it.
They're probably pleased that it has a digital readout.

Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 01:19:31 +0000 (UTC), G Morgan wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:33:48 -0600, Frank wrote:
Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital
tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box converts
the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality? Most likely
connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive premium
channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if there is
one---. comcast has only one cable box.

A cheap 20" tube tv won't have a digital tuner no matter how they hype it.
They're probably pleased that it has a digital readout.

Sure it will, all TV's sold now are going to have a digital tuner
because in Feb 09 the analog signal goes bye-bye.

A ****ty tube TV wasn't designed looking a whole year ahead. It was slapped
together with the cheapest components available *now*.

Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)

If the CRT is flat and not convex they can call it "flat screen"
because it is.

They call it a "flat screen" to fool people into buying it thinking
it is a flat panel TV like an LCD screen. "Flat Screen" was never
marketing hype before flat panels were on the market.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital
tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box
converts the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality?
Most likely connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive
premium channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if
there is one---. comcast has only one cable box.
Frank

Connect directly to see if you have an picture quality loss My guess is you
won't see a difference.

If you want better quality you have to go to a High Definition at about 4 or
5 times the cost. You may have to pay a higher price for your cable to get
hi-def also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:05:55 -0500, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital
tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box
converts the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality?
Most likely connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive
premium channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if
there is one---. comcast has only one cable box.
Frank

Connect directly to see if you have an picture quality loss My guess is you
won't see a difference.

Or look for #.# digital channel designations. If don't see multiple digital
channels on each frequency, you haven't an ATSC tuner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad writes:

Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)

If the CRT is flat and not convex they can call it "flat screen"
because it is.

They call it a "flat screen" to fool people into buying it thinking
it is a flat panel TV like an LCD screen. "Flat Screen" was never
marketing hype before flat panels were on the market.

No, flat screen CRTs appeared years ago, well before LCD screens were
any sort of reasonable alternative to CRTs. Flat screen CRTs *were*
different, and commanded a price premium over, non-flat CRTs. The
standard Trinitron or equivalent slot-mask tube typically had a
cylindrical face, while delta-gun CRTs typically had a somewhat
spherical screen face.

(I'm typing this on a flat-screen CRT, a ViewSonic EF70).

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)

If the CRT is flat and not convex they can call it "flat screen"
because it is.

They call it a "flat screen" to fool people into buying it thinking
it is a flat panel TV like an LCD screen. "Flat Screen" was never
marketing hype before flat panels were on the market.

Well you would have to be a real idiot not to notice the extra 18"
sticking out the back of the damn box if you thought you were getting
an LCD. Besides, flat screen CRT's do look better than convex so it's
not just some marketing "hype".

And they were pushing them well before flat-panel displays became available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martindale wrote:
AZ Nomad writes:

Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)

If the CRT is flat and not convex they can call it "flat screen"
because it is.

They call it a "flat screen" to fool people into buying it thinking
it is a flat panel TV like an LCD screen. "Flat Screen" was never
marketing hype before flat panels were on the market.

No, flat screen CRTs appeared years ago, well before LCD screens were
any sort of reasonable alternative to CRTs. Flat screen CRTs *were*
different, and commanded a price premium over, non-flat CRTs. The
standard Trinitron or equivalent slot-mask tube typically had a
cylindrical face, while delta-gun CRTs typically had a somewhat
spherical screen face.

(I'm typing this on a flat-screen CRT, a ViewSonic EF70).

Dave

Well said, I am also using a flat screen CRT that is several years old,
a ViewSonic E70fb.

Don
Posted to alt.home.repair

Back to my original question regarding connection between cable box and tube
type(FLAT SCREEN TV) I find the cable box has red&white audio output jacks
with yellow video. The TV has same for input. Would this work with TV set to
video 1 or 2 input.How much better signal would I get if any?
Last time this subject
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Back to my original question regarding connection between cable box and
tube type(FLAT SCREEN TV) I find the cable box has red&white audio output
jacks with yellow video. The TV has same for input. Would this work with
TV set to video 1 or 2 input.How much better signal would I get if any?
Last time this subject
Frank

No better. Any time there's a junction in the wire, there's a loss of signal
quality. (probably not noticeable though).

Try connecting the cable TV wire directly to the new TV. Most likely it can
receive cable TV signals. Then send the set-top box back to the cable co.
so they stop charging you monthly rent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Back to my original question regarding connection between cable box and
tube type(FLAT SCREEN TV) I find the cable box has red&white audio output
jacks with yellow video. The TV has same for input. Would this work with
TV set to video 1 or 2 input.How much better signal would I get if any?

The red/white/yellow should give a noticably clearer picture.

Quality from best to worst...

- HDMI
- DVI - red/white (or other audio connection) + DVI
- VGA - DB15 (PC)
- Component - red/white + blue/red/green
- SVideo - red/white + 4pin
- Composite - red/white/yellow
- Coaxial (75ohm) - Cable TV cable
- 300ohm antenna
- baling wire
- licorice whip

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:56:21 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Back to my original question regarding connection between cable box and
tube type(FLAT SCREEN TV) I find the cable box has red&white audio output
jacks with yellow video. The TV has same for input. Would this work with
TV set to video 1 or 2 input.How much better signal would I get if any?
Last time this subject
Frank

No better. Any time there's a junction in the wire, there's a loss of signal
quality. (probably not noticeable though).

In this case, there would be a noticable improvement using the white/red/yellow
connectors, as you would be eliminating the entire tuner of the TV set from the
setup.

Use red/white/yellow if you use the cable box.

Reception of a direct broadcast digital signal (not old analog channel)
via antenna should display as good a picture as R/W/Y (if antenna signal
is strong enough so picture does not have some breakup).

Try connecting the cable TV wire directly to the new TV. Most likely it can
receive cable TV signals. Then send the set-top box back to the cable co.
so they stop charging you monthly rent.

That might not be a good idea, as cable companies are rapidly forcing customers
to give up their analog service and switch to digital. It won't matter at all
that your TV has a digital tuner unless you use it for over the air broadcast
reception. For any Cable or satellite provider, their proprietary converter box
will be mandatory.

I agree with Bob that direct cable connection to the TV may be best if
the TV tunes to cable channels. (It won't get premium channels like
HBO.) This should also be as good a picture as the R/W/Y cable box
connection.

(Returning box - if the cable co. changes to digital you need a
different converter box anyway.)

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:43:55 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:37:11 -0600, bud--

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:56:21 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

He wants to know how to connect his cable box to his TV.

Try connecting the cable TV wire directly to the new TV. Most likely it can
receive cable TV signals. Then send the set-top box back to the cable co.
so they stop charging you monthly rent.

That might not be a good idea, as cable companies are rapidly forcing customers
to give up their analog service and switch to digital. It won't matter at all
that your TV has a digital tuner unless you use it for over the air broadcast
reception. For any Cable or satellite provider, their proprietary converter box
will be mandatory.

I agree with Bob that direct cable connection to the TV may be best if
the TV tunes to cable channels. (It won't get premium channels like
HBO.) This should also be as good a picture as the R/W/Y cable box
connection.

He posted that one of his concerns is that if he connects the cable
directly to the TV without the converter box he won't get his premium
channels.

a problem with many cable companies is that they encrypt almost all digital
channels.

The only channels my local cable company doesn't encrypt are those I can pull
over the air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all . Found I can connect directly to TV but I can only receive
basic service. Direct R Y W connection not much improvement,plus I must re-
tune to Video imput on TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:37:00 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Did they also call it a "flat screen"? :-)

If the CRT is flat and not convex they can call it "flat screen"
because it is.

They call it a "flat screen" to fool people into buying it thinking
it is a flat panel TV like an LCD screen. "Flat Screen" was never
marketing hype before flat panels were on the market.

Well you would have to be a real idiot not to notice the extra 18"
sticking out the back of the damn box if you thought you were getting
an LCD. Besides, flat screen CRT's do look better than convex so it's
not just some marketing "hype".

Not only that, but if there is a window or other lamp in the room, the
flatter the screen the easier it is to turn the tv or to sit so that
the light won't be reflected in the screen. With a convex screen,
this can be impossible. (Of course that's all I have, and most places
it's ok)

And they were pushing them well before flat-panel displays became available.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:33:48 -0600, Frank wrote:
Just bought a cheap 20" Tube TV for our Kitchen. This unit has a digital
tuner built in. We have cable . My question is since the cable box converts
the digital signal to analog am I missing some picture quality? Most likely
connecting the cable directly would not allow me to receive premium
channels. Any one else out there solved the same problem---if there is
one---. comcast has only one cable box.

A cheap 20" tube tv won't have a digital tuner no matter how they hype it.
They're probably pleased that it has a digital readout.

Sure it will, all TV's sold now are going to have a digital tuner
because in Feb 09 the analog signal goes bye-bye.

A ****ty tube TV wasn't designed looking a whole year ahead. It was slapped
together with the cheapest components available *now*.

Don't take my word for it. Go down to your nearest WalMart, Best Buy,
any place that sells TV's and have a look.

By chance I was at Target on Reisterstown Road just inside the
Baltimore Beltway (there are two on that street) just two days ago,
and looked at tv's. They had what they called a kitchen tv for 185
dollars iirc, about 8" screen. It was digital. Then I noticed a tv
for even less, 145 maybe, with a much bigger screen. But there was a
catch.

They all have digital
tuners. In fact the FCC mandated that all TV's sold after March 1,
2007 have a digital tuner.

I don't know about the FCC but I was at Target two days ago, and they
had at least two models that were not digital. The shelf-edge
price sign for each had a paragraph on the right that was at least 40
words long that said that the tv would only work with cable and
satellite after that date early next year.

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...to_be_digital/

Well, that's what Hiawatha says all right, but either he was wrong or
something has changed or Target is ignoring the law. I doubt it is
the third one because they went to a lot of trouble to print those
signs, which were very nicely done, and they could have just not
accepted those tv's in the first place.

Is my TV digital? Chris Home Repair 88 January 16th 08 11:33 AM
Is my TV digital? Chris Home Repair 0 January 11th 08 04:17 AM
Digital out from a CD player with no digital out? [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 2nd 07 07:53 PM
On Digital box mikehh Electronics Repair 1 February 8th 07 07:07 PM
When is a digital/analogue phone not a digital/anaalogue phone? [email protected] UK diy 6 February 3rd 06 10:07 AM