Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default Digital TV

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:43:55 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:37:11 -0600, bud--

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:56:21 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Back to my original question regarding connection between cable box and
tube type(FLAT SCREEN TV) I find the cable box has red&white audio output
jacks with yellow video. The TV has same for input. Would this work with
TV set to video 1 or 2 input.How much better signal would I get if any?
Last time this subject
Frank

No better. Any time there's a junction in the wire, there's a loss of signal
quality. (probably not noticeable though).

In this case, there would be a noticable improvement using the white/red/yellow
connectors, as you would be eliminating the entire tuner of the TV set from the
setup.

Use red/white/yellow if you use the cable box.

Reception of a direct broadcast digital signal (not old analog channel)
via antenna should display as good a picture as R/W/Y (if antenna signal
is strong enough so picture does not have some breakup).

He wants to know how to connect his cable box to his TV.

Try connecting the cable TV wire directly to the new TV. Most likely it can
receive cable TV signals. Then send the set-top box back to the cable co.
so they stop charging you monthly rent.

That might not be a good idea, as cable companies are rapidly forcing customers
to give up their analog service and switch to digital. It won't matter at all
that your TV has a digital tuner unless you use it for over the air broadcast
reception. For any Cable or satellite provider, their proprietary converter box
will be mandatory.

I agree with Bob that direct cable connection to the TV may be best if
the TV tunes to cable channels. (It won't get premium channels like
HBO.) This should also be as good a picture as the R/W/Y cable box
connection.

He posted that one of his concerns is that if he connects the cable
directly to the TV without the converter box he won't get his premium
channels.

a problem with many cable companies is that they encrypt almost all digital
channels.

The only channels my local cable company doesn't encrypt are those I can pull
over the air.