Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage remote

My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have to
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newman wrote:
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have to
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Hi,
If you know what you are doing. Remote frequency may have strayed off a
bit with weather change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"newman" wrote in message
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The
remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

check the obvious. Did you check the battery on a tester before you put the
new one on?There should be a foot or so of receiver wire coming out of your
opener, and maybe that fell off. Look for a round hole in your opener.
Take the top off. You may see a threaded device there where you can put a
rod or a small screwdriver in the access hole and slide the tuning thingus.
Go to the distance you want the operator to work from, hold the button down,
and adjust the thingus in and out. Keep track of your starting point th
counting the turns. If that don't work, I don't know what else to try.
Just do what I do. I honk, and the wife comes out and lifts the garage
door. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mat Mat is offline

"newman" wrote in message
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The
remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Don't know where you are, but I've had similar problems here in MN in the
depths of winter. Once it gets below zero both the outdoor keypad and the
remote in the car (if left overnight in a cold garage) lose a lot of their
oomph and fail to transmit beyond a few feet (this was an infuriating one to
figure out....the remote would open the door when I was in the garage close
to the unit, but would not close when on the drive 20 feet away!). To prove
the point, try swapping out or room temperature battery when it is
misbehaving. If that is the issue, then it's likely that a replacement will
suffer the same issue (unless hard wired).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Buttons go bad eventually. You can try taking it apart and cleaning the key
pad contents but it won't work much longer even if you do.
"newman" wrote in message
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The
remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newman wrote:
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have to
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Sure sounds like dirty keypad contacts to me.

Try taking it apart. If you are lucky you'll be able to separate the
rubber key "contact" sheet from the printed circuit board it's next to.

If you can, wipe off the rubber contacts and the PC board with denatured
alcohol and reassemble it.

If you can't easily accomplish that, then just buy a new remote.

I've "revived" many a TV remote that way. I've been told that over time
skin oils can work their way right through those rubber buttons and crud
up the contact areas.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Remote garage door openers Alan J B UK diy 4 April 29th 07 07:04 PM
Garage door eratic using remote timi Home Repair 3 November 17th 06 10:57 AM
Garage door remote Bill Home Repair 1 July 11th 06 12:02 AM
Garage door opener remote Bill Electronics 1 June 10th 06 11:23 AM
Garage Door Remote Robert11 Home Ownership 2 July 24th 05 07:18 PM