Posted to alt.home.repair
Mat Mat is offline

Default garage remote

"newman" wrote in message
news:T%Mfj.586$hS.190@trnddc08...
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The
remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Don't know where you are, but I've had similar problems here in MN in the
depths of winter. Once it gets below zero both the outdoor keypad and the
remote in the car (if left overnight in a cold garage) lose a lot of their
oomph and fail to transmit beyond a few feet (this was an infuriating one to
figure out....the remote would open the door when I was in the garage close
to the unit, but would not close when on the drive 20 feet away!). To prove
the point, try swapping out or room temperature battery when it is
misbehaving. If that is the issue, then it's likely that a replacement will
suffer the same issue (unless hard wired).