Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default garage remote

newman wrote:
My remote garage door opener has become flakey. It will work, but I have to
punch in the code very slowly and sometimes two or more times. The remotes
in the car work OK.

It's one that I got at HD.

I replaced battery.

Is this fixable, or should I just replace it?

Thanks

The opener mechanism is a Stanley, installed in 1992. It seems to work
fine.

Sure sounds like dirty keypad contacts to me.

Try taking it apart. If you are lucky you'll be able to separate the
rubber key "contact" sheet from the printed circuit board it's next to.

If you can, wipe off the rubber contacts and the PC board with denatured
alcohol and reassemble it.

If you can't easily accomplish that, then just buy a new remote.

I've "revived" many a TV remote that way. I've been told that over time
skin oils can work their way right through those rubber buttons and crud
up the contact areas.

HTH,

Jeff

--