Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do

After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
of the winter? I do most of my things outside but
now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
| After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
| lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
| of the winter? I do most of my things outside but
| now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA

Have you thought about making little Herbs and Enevas?

--
JC from Gnat Flats

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 3, 5:38*pm, "JC" wrote:
"Herb and Eneva" wrote in ...
| *After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
| lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
| of the winter? * * * * * * * * * * I do most of my things outside but
| now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? * TIA

Have you thought about making little Herbs and Enevas?

--
JC from Gnat Flats

We do a lot of drinking, hunting, screwing and wood cutting. And when
thats all done we go to Cuba for for 10 days for some more drinking
and screwing. That gets us to March.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 5:38 pm, "JC" wrote:
"Herb and Eneva" wrote in
| After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
| lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
| of the winter? I do most of my things outside but
| now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA

Have you thought about making little Herbs and Enevas?

--
JC from Gnat Flats

We do a lot of drinking, hunting, screwing and wood cutting. And when
thats all done we go to Cuba for for 10 days for some more drinking
and screwing. That gets us to March.

After all of that, how do you march?

--
JC from Gnat Flats

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva wrote:

After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
of the winter? I do most of my things outside but
now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA

What is winter?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 3, 6:12*pm, Robert Allison wrote:
Herb and Eneva wrote:
* After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
of the winter? * * * * * * * * * * I do most of my things outside but
now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? * TIA

What is winter?

--
Robert Allison *
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Winter is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. You know - like
where I live we have cold temperatures and snow during the winter. But
we don't have tornadoes, floods, heat waves or hurricanes either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva wrote:

After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
of the winter? I do most of my things outside but
now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA

What is winter?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Winter is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. You know - like
where I live we have cold temperatures and snow during the winter. But
we don't have tornadoes, floods, heat waves or hurricanes either.

We have winter here, too. It was 25 this morning and it makes
it hard to get the RV ready for camping this weekend. It is
supposed to be in the upper 70s by then.

I have a serious question. Does construction just stop up in
the north during the winter? We have problems with the cold
when we are pouring concrete or painting, but we just wait a
while and it will warm up long enough to get things done. We
don't really have a down time down here.

Just wondering.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PV PV is offline

Herb and Eneva wrote:

[...]

Nope things keep rolling along as best they can. Busiest time in the
Alberta oil patch, when the ground is frozen things can happen

PV

Posted to alt.home.repair

Herb and Eneva wrote:

[...]

Does construction stop? No, but sometimes I wish it would.

Here in Duluth, MN, we can't paint outside. No more landscaping or
sodding. But most other things are possible. Excavators used to shut
down, but now with ground thawers they can work all year too.
Concrete gets hot water and sand at the plant plus accelerant--plus
you have insulated tarps for after the pour. You can do flat work
down to 10 degrees if you are not too fussy about your finish. (20 is
my personal cutoff). Foundation walls can be poured in any weather,
except the pumpers don't like it below zero because the concrete
freezes in the boom.

I went to work framing a house yesterday morning and it was 5 below.
Shot some automotive antifreeze in the hoses and guns, some handwarmer
packs in the gloves, and away we went. More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
marson wrote:

More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.

Yeah, why do you live in such a place? I lived in such a place -- not
too far from Duluth, actually. Jumped a freight for sunshine when I was
21 and never looked back. Now I snivel when the temperature departs the
70's in either direction.

What the hell is a ground thawer? (I remember construction guys drawing
unemployment and spending winters drinking.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do: hot and cold

marson wrote:
snip

I went to work framing a house yesterday morning and it was 5 below.
Shot some automotive antifreeze in the hoses and guns, some handwarmer
packs in the gloves, and away we went. More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.

Hmm, I wonder too? You might be interested to know that down here in
Sunny Southern California, water actually freezes at 45F. That's when
all the locals start talking about how "freezing cold" it is outside :-P

But seriously, many folks don't know that there are places in California
where it really *does* get cold. Like in Bridgeport. I used to live not
far from there. No beaches or palm trees there; it can get quite cold at
times. By quite cold, the record low is minus 31F. Not so cold by Duluth
standards I suppose, but damn cold anyway. Here is a link to some
typical average and record high/low temperatures for Bridgeport, CA:

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USCA0129_f.html

I also used to live in Death Valley, CA where I once experienced 131
degrees. Now that is damn hot! Mother Nature is one amazing mother!

-- maxodyne.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 10:20 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

marson wrote:
More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.

Yeah, why do you live in such a place? I lived in such a place -- not
too far from Duluth, actually. Jumped a freight for sunshine when I was
21 and never looked back. Now I snivel when the temperature departs the
70's in either direction.

What the hell is a ground thawer? (I remember construction guys drawing
unemployment and spending winters drinking.)

A ground thawer is basically a fuel oil boiler set up on a trailer,
with coils of hose to pump the hot antifreeze through. You snake them
around on the frozen ground, cover them with insulated tarps and leave
it go for a few days, and voila, just like working in Miami.

But you know I really hate hot weather too. I'd take a nice sunny 20
degree day to work out side over a 90 degrees and humid. Any day.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

marson wrote:
More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.

Yeah, why do you live in such a place? I lived in such a place -- not
too far from Duluth, actually. Jumped a freight for sunshine when I was
21 and never looked back. Now I snivel when the temperature departs the
70's in either direction.

What the hell is a ground thawer? (I remember construction guys drawing
unemployment and spending winters drinking.)

A ground thawer is basically a fuel oil boiler set up on a trailer,
with coils of hose to pump the hot antifreeze through. You snake them
around on the frozen ground, cover them with insulated tarps and leave
it go for a few days, and voila, just like working in Miami.

But you know I really hate hot weather too. I'd take a nice sunny 20
degree day to work out side over a 90 degrees and humid. Any day.

You can always put on more clothes, but there is a limit to how much
you can take off.

Actually, I just biked to work, 15 miles, 19F. Keep the fingers and
toes warm, and everything else works out fine. Still, I prefer biking
in the warmer weather. There's never a problem when you're moving, but
boy does sweat explode out when you stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 11:36*pm, maxodyne wrote:
marson wrote:

snip

[...]

Well here in Ottawa,Ontario yesterday was a bomby -20C (that's -4F for
you in the US). That wasn't so bad as there was no wind. The day
before it was windy bringing the wind chill factor to -36C (or
-33F).
My not so close Albertan neighbor knows what I speak of.
.
I wonder why I never returned to my birth place (California), after
graduation.... Oh, yeah, I think it was something about guns, smog, no
health care... Well, today I can say that I miss the sun. I get up
early in the morning It's dark, I drive into work, it's dark, I work
until it's dark, I drive home, it's dark. Sometimes, we get the
occasional blizzard, which is fun to drive in, -NOT-, especially when
there's alot of cars on the road -hate traffic.
.
Looking forward to the heat wave today (normal temperatures for this
time) of -3C (-26F).
.
To "Herb and Eneva": Why don't you fly out here and wax my
Snowblower? It also needs an oil change - I've been using it alot
these days. Did I hear right? Truckee, California has up to 10 feet of
snow predicted for a snow storm? Hope their snowblowers are ready.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

I have alot of admiration for the construction workers that brave the
winters, when the temperature drops below 32F (freezing). Developers
often go on a foundation pouring blitz just as we get to freezing in
late fall. Then the framers move in to get the roof and sides up. The
balance of the winter is spent finishing the inside once they get the
electricity hooked up, where they can heat the inside and work in
comfort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
marson wrote:

But you know I really hate hot weather too. I'd take a nice sunny 20
degree day to work out side over a 90 degrees and humid. Any day.

Yeah, and you get plenty of both in your locale. I get none of either in
mine. Every place has its pros and cons, but inhospitable weather 250
days out of the year is something up with which I will never again put.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 9:14 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

marson wrote:
But you know I really hate hot weather too. I'd take a nice sunny 20
degree day to work out side over a 90 degrees and humid. Any day.

Yeah, and you get plenty of both in your locale. I get none of either in
mine. Every place has its pros and cons, but inhospitable weather 250
days out of the year is something up with which I will never again put.

Your weather is pretty boring, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

marson wrote:
But you know I really hate hot weather too. I'd take a nice sunny 20
degree day to work out side over a 90 degrees and humid. Any day.

Yeah, and you get plenty of both in your locale. I get none of either in
mine. Every place has its pros and cons, but inhospitable weather 250
days out of the year is something up with which I will never again put.

Your weather is pretty boring, eh?

Exceptionally. And that's a drawback. Just not as big of a drawback as
overly exciting weather, in my book.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 3:28*pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
* After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
of the winter? * * * * * * * * * * I do most of my things outside but
now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? * TIA

You could put up a news.server and filter out all the spam in a.h.r so
the rest of us don't have to sort through it.