Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default What to do

On Jan 3, 3:52 pm, Robert Allison wrote:
jim wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:12 pm, Robert Allison wrote:

Herb and Eneva wrote:

After putting away all of the holiday stuff, waxing the tractor and
lawnmowers, and even cleaning the garage what can I do now for the rest
of the winter? I do most of my things outside but
now it is too cold. What do the rest of y`all do to keep busy? TIA

What is winter?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Winter is one of the four seasons of temperate zones. You know - like
where I live we have cold temperatures and snow during the winter. But
we don't have tornadoes, floods, heat waves or hurricanes either.

We have winter here, too. It was 25 this morning and it makes
it hard to get the RV ready for camping this weekend. It is
supposed to be in the upper 70s by then.

I have a serious question. Does construction just stop up in
the north during the winter? We have problems with the cold
when we are pouring concrete or painting, but we just wait a
while and it will warm up long enough to get things done. We
don't really have a down time down here.

Just wondering.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Does construction stop? No, but sometimes I wish it would.

Here in Duluth, MN, we can't paint outside. No more landscaping or
sodding. But most other things are possible. Excavators used to shut
down, but now with ground thawers they can work all year too.
Concrete gets hot water and sand at the plant plus accelerant--plus
you have insulated tarps for after the pour. You can do flat work
down to 10 degrees if you are not too fussy about your finish. (20 is
my personal cutoff). Foundation walls can be poured in any weather,
except the pumpers don't like it below zero because the concrete
freezes in the boom.

I went to work framing a house yesterday morning and it was 5 below.
Shot some automotive antifreeze in the hoses and guns, some handwarmer
packs in the gloves, and away we went. More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.