Posted to alt.home.repair
JBond JBond is offline

Default What to do: hot and cold

On Jan 3, 11:36*pm, maxodyne wrote:
marson wrote:

snip

I went to work framing a house yesterday morning and it was 5 below.
Shot some automotive antifreeze in the hoses and guns, some handwarmer
packs in the gloves, and away we went. *More and more, I wonder why
the heck I live in such a place.

Hmm, I wonder too? You might be interested to know that down here in
Sunny Southern California, water actually freezes at 45F. That's when
all the locals start talking about how "freezing cold" it is outside :-P

But seriously, many folks don't know that there are places in California
where it really *does* get cold. Like in Bridgeport. I used to live not
far from there. No beaches or palm trees there; it can get quite cold at
times. By quite cold, the record low is minus 31F. Not so cold by Duluth
standards I suppose, but damn cold anyway. Here is a link to some
typical average and record high/low temperatures for Bridgeport, CA:

http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USCA0129_f.html

I also used to live in Death Valley, CA where I once experienced 131
degrees. Now that is damn hot! Mother Nature is one amazing mother!

-- maxodyne.

Well here in Ottawa,Ontario yesterday was a bomby -20C (that's -4F for
you in the US). That wasn't so bad as there was no wind. The day
before it was windy bringing the wind chill factor to -36C (or
-33F).
My not so close Albertan neighbor knows what I speak of.
.
I wonder why I never returned to my birth place (California), after
graduation.... Oh, yeah, I think it was something about guns, smog, no
health care... Well, today I can say that I miss the sun. I get up
early in the morning It's dark, I drive into work, it's dark, I work
until it's dark, I drive home, it's dark. Sometimes, we get the
occasional blizzard, which is fun to drive in, -NOT-, especially when
there's alot of cars on the road -hate traffic.
.
Looking forward to the heat wave today (normal temperatures for this
time) of -3C (-26F).
.
To "Herb and Eneva": Why don't you fly out here and wax my
Snowblower? It also needs an oil change - I've been using it alot
these days. Did I hear right? Truckee, California has up to 10 feet of
snow predicted for a snow storm? Hope their snowblowers are ready.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

I have alot of admiration for the construction workers that brave the
winters, when the temperature drops below 32F (freezing). Developers
often go on a foundation pouring blitz just as we get to freezing in
late fall. Then the framers move in to get the roof and sides up. The
balance of the winter is spent finishing the inside once they get the
electricity hooked up, where they can heat the inside and work in
comfort.