Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CCW stops robbery...lucky!

This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which
follows.
To view this item online, visit
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59503

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived

A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with
halting
an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the
assailant until police arrived.

According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51,
was
in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's
south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun
on
a store employee."

The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened
at
5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end
shopping.

"While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to
the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the
robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."

The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
of
the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
racked
the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag
of
cash on the counter, dropping some of the money . the suspect removed
his mask and lay on the floor."

Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers
arrived
and took him away in handcuffs.

Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and
they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from
the
suspect.

Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion
County
Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal
confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun
without
a license.

Outstanding that the robbery was stopped by a CCW person.

That person needs a bit of instructions on using a weapon for such
things.

What was he doing pointing an unloaded weapon at the robber?

Lesson#1 - never point a gun at someone unless you plan to use it.

My first thought when reading this was that everyone there was lucky.
Had the robber's gun been loaded I can see an entirely different
ending.

Harry K

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
| This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which
| follows.
| To view this item online, visit
| http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=59503
|
| Wednesday, January 2, 2008
|

| WEAPONS OF CHOICE
| Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
| Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived
|
| A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with
| halting
| an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the
| assailant until police arrived.
|
| According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51,
| was
| in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's
| south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun
| on
| a store employee."
|
| The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened
| at
| 5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end
| shopping.
|
| "While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to
| the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the
| robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."
|
| The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
| of
| the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
| racked
| the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."
|

| At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag
| of
| cash on the counter, dropping some of the money . the suspect removed
| his mask and lay on the floor."
|

| Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers
| arrived
| and took him away in handcuffs.
|
| Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and
| they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from
| the
| suspect.
|
| Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion
| County
| Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal
| confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun
| without
| a license.
|
| -------------------------------------------------
| Outstanding that the robbery was stopped by a CCW person.
|
| That person needs a bit of instructions on using a weapon for such
| things.
|
| What was he doing pointing an unloaded weapon at the robber?

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon was
unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps he ejected
one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect. Lots of ifs and
maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

To view this item online, visithttp://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59503

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
[...]

I guess that goes for the robber also.

What was he doing pointing an unloaded gun at the employee?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon was
unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps he ejected
one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect. Lots of ifs and
maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

The robber's weapon was unloaded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What was he doing pointing an unloaded gun at the employee?

A couple of my cops friends said there is sorta an urban legend
amongst crooks that if the gun isn't loaded then they think they can't
be charged with armed robbery and they will avoid the extra jail time.
Boy are they mistaken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JC" wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon was
unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps he
ejected
one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect. Lots of ifs and
maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

The robber's weapon was unloaded.

That's irrelevant.

Pay attention now, old son(g). From the post it appeared as though
the person was confused who had the loaded and/or unloaded gun. I was
merely attempting to allay that confusion. Which made the comment
overwhelmingly relevant in the conversation (not to mention damn pithy,
too).

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

[...]

YIKES!

[...]

Insanity.He probably realized it after he drew....

Lesson#1 - never point a gun at someone unless you plan to use it.

My first thought when reading this was that everyone there was lucky.
Had the robber's gun been loaded I can see an entirely different
ending.

Harry K

Harry K

I recall reading about a customer in a similar situation who drew his
concealed handgun and yelled "halt" to stop a robber,and the robber spun
and shot him dead.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

What was he doing pointing an unloaded gun at the employee?

A couple of my cops friends said there is sorta an urban legend
amongst crooks that if the gun isn't loaded then they think they can't
be charged with armed robbery and they will avoid the extra jail time.
Boy are they mistaken

It is still armed robbery even if the gun is a toy. Or if the
robber just has his finger under a jacket. If the employee
thinks its a gun, it is armed robbery.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

The robber's weapon was unloaded.

Quote;
The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
of
the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
racked
the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

endquote

"to load a round in the chamber";not "load another round".
Sounds empty to me.

Merrell could easily have been shot while racking the slide.
that is an "effect"....not a good one,though.

I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

[...]

Darwin Award.

A gun alone doesn't guarantee tactical superiority of a situation.

To quote Kenny Rogers

"You gotta know when to hold em,
know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away,
and know when to run

Now evry gambler knows that the secret to survivin
Is knowin what to throw away and knowin what to keep.
cause evry hands a winner and evry hands a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep"

a civilian CCW holder pulling a gun on a robbery,
that doesn't involve them directly - is rolling the
dice - (tactically speaking).

may turn out fine, may not.

and what the hell does all this have to do with
home repair ???????

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

[...]

home repair ???????- Hide quoted text -

what the hell does all this have to do with home repair?

The robber was trying to steal money so he could hire a contractor to
fix his house. D*mn, those guys charge a lot these days!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
| Kurt Ullman wrote in
| :
|
| In article ,
| "JC" wrote:
|

| I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
| was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
| he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
| Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.
|
| The robber's weapon was unloaded.
|
| Quote;
| The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation
| of
| the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell
| racked
| the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."
|
| endquote
|
| "to load a round in the chamber";not "load another round".
| Sounds empty to me.
|
| Merrell could easily have been shot while racking the slide.
| that is an "effect"....not a good one,though.
|
| I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.

Yeah, well I've shot someone before. How many have you shot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomCat" wrote in message
. ..

> [...]
| concealed handgun and yelled "halt" to stop a robber,and the robber spun
| and shot him dead.
|

| Darwin Award.
|
| A gun alone doesn't guarantee tactical superiority of a situation.
|
| To quote Kenny Rogers
|
| "You gotta know when to hold em,
| know when to fold em,
| Know when to walk away,
| and know when to run
|
| Now evry gambler knows that the secret to survivin
| Is knowin what to throw away and knowin what to keep.
| cause evry hands a winner and evry hands a loser,
| And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep"
|
| a civilian CCW holder pulling a gun on a robbery,
| that doesn't involve them directly - is rolling the
| dice - (tactically speaking).
|
| may turn out fine, may not.
|
| and what the hell does all this have to do with

It just more ideas for when you get a bad repairman.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

[...]

I put it right up there with all the "Cheap Brand Jewelry" crap on here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JC wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon was
unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps he
ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect. Lots
of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing. If I
have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing. If I
have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

It depends on what you carry. I have a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm that has no safety at
all and I carry it with one round up the snout. The P11 has about a 10 pound
trigger and there's no way you'll ever accidentally pop off a round, even with
adrenalin coursing through your system. It will take an active decision to
shoot. And even if the pistol were to jam (it doesn't) I know I'd get at least
the first round off without incident. And then I have 10 more rounds if I need
them....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomCat wrote:
and what the hell does all this have to do with
home repair ???????

If you'd called a plumber or electrician to your house recently, you'd
understand that robbery is very much on topic around here!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing.
If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

It depends on what you carry. ....snip

Otheres may prefer differently, but I carry sans chambered round with any
handgun I use. That's what I prefer. That's also the way I practice when I
shoot, so it has become second nature and doesn't slow me down in any real
world sense.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
It depends on what you carry. ....snip

Otheres may prefer differently, but I carry sans chambered round with any
handgun I use. That's what I prefer. That's also the way I practice when I
shoot, so it has become second nature and doesn't slow me down in any real
world sense.

It will if your weapon doesn't return to battery.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

SNIP

I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.

You might want to think about that. Incident was in Indiana, IIRC, not
Texas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing.
If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

It depends on what you carry. ....snip

Otheres may prefer differently, but I carry sans chambered round with any
handgun I use. That's what I prefer. That's also the way I practice when I
shoot, so it has become second nature and doesn't slow me down in any real
world sense.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........

To increase you odds at Russian roulette?
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety
thing. If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the
safety.

It depends on what you carry. ....snip

Otheres may prefer differently, but I carry sans chambered round
with any handgun I use. That's what I prefer. That's also the way I
practice when I shoot, so it has become second nature and doesn't
slow me down in any real world sense.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Did you ever carry a revolver?

Nope.

If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

N/A
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........

To increase you odds at Russian roulette?

Read the 2-3 messages before this one. Things will either make sense, or
they won't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
It depends on what you carry. ....snip

Otheres may prefer differently, but I carry sans chambered round
with any handgun I use. That's what I prefer. That's also the way I
practice when I shoot, so it has become second nature and doesn't
slow me down in any real world sense.

It will if your weapon doesn't return to battery.

Ultra low risk of that ever happening, which is one of the advantages of a
wide-open ejection port. My magazines are also kept well maintained, which
is usually the culprit for the firearms having such problems.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........

To increase you odds at Russian roulette?

Read the 2-3 messages before this one. Things will either make sense,
or they won't.

I've read them.

Very, very few modern revolvers have striker firing pins. Even those that do
have blocks. Modern revolvers have inertial firing pins and no amount of
force on the hammer will cause the weapon to fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote in
:

JC wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing.
If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

police carry with a round in the chamber.So do I.
First shot is DA,a long,heavier trigger pull.(on my PA-63)
I suppose you could carry a revolver.

the best safety is the human holding the gun.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:13:02 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........

To increase you odds at Russian roulette?

Read the 2-3 messages before this one. Things will either make sense,
or they won't.

I've read them.

Very, very few modern revolvers have striker firing pins. Even those that do
have blocks. Modern revolvers have inertial firing pins and no amount of
force on the hammer will cause the weapon to fire.

It was demonstrated to me how a double action revolver would not fire
unless the trigger went past the first action and the trigger was
pulled completely...30 years ago.

Unloaded Weapon:
Using a .38 Colt revolver the hammer was cocked and dropped on the
table. Even if the hammer did fall forward, the firing pin would not
work unless the trigger was pulled.

The same weapon with a pencil inserted into the barrel (eraser first),
would not "shoot the pencil out" if the trigger was released at the
first action. Pull the trigger all the way back and the firing pin
went forward, shooting the pencil out.

I'm stuck on my revolver

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in
:

JC wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing.
If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

police carry with a round in the chamber.So do I.
First shot is DA,a long,heavier trigger pull.(on my PA-63)
I suppose you could carry a revolver.

Everyone has their preferences, and I have no truck with that one bit :-)

the best safety is the human holding the gun.

Amen.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Especially now with the really lightweight titanium alloy revolvers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 19:19:04 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

| I would have just shot the robber;2 rounds to the center of body.

Yeah, well I've shot someone before. How many have you shot?

But! Did you kill?

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
JC wrote:

I don't see anything in the article that indicates that his weapon
was unloaded. Many times I will rack just to make sure. So, perhaps
he ejected one while injecting another. Maybe he racked for effect.
Lots of ifs and maybes here. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.

I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing.
If I have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

All my CCW weapons are carried with a live round in the chamber.

Good for you.

Why
on earth would one NOT have a live round in the chamber?

Personal choice.

Modern
weapons have new designs where they will not discharge if dropped on
the hammer.

Yeah, I know. Doesn't affect how *I* want to carry.

On older weapons, that was why it was carried on a dry
hole. With some semiautos, it takes quite a bit of effort to load
the first shell.

Not with my Baretta.

And a bit of time, too, which could make all the
difference.

Not really.

I carry my semi-auto with one in the chamber, hammer
down, with 17 behind it. It takes a full trigger squeeze to fire the
first round, and then it will shoot as fast as you can pull the
trigger.

Double actions tend do do that.

Carrying on empty? What do you do, say wait a minute while I load?

A minute? I'm racking as I'm clearing my holster. If it takes you a minute
to make a simple movement then it makes sense for you to carry with a round
in the chamber. Personal choice in the way anyone chooses to carry is just
that....personal choice. I'd appreciate it if those who choose to do it
differently than I do to knock off the criticism and be happy with their own
choices.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:02:13 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Dave Bugg wrote:
I never carry with a live round in the chamber. It's a safety thing. If I
have to deploy, I would be racking and removing the safety.

It depends on what you carry. I have a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm that has no
safety at all and I carry it with one round up the snout. The P11 has
about a 10 pound trigger and there's no way you'll ever accidentally pop
off a round, even with adrenalin coursing through your system. It will
take an active decision to shoot. And even if the pistol were to jam (it
doesn't) I know I'd get at least the first round off without incident.
And then I have 10 more rounds if I need them....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I've got the KelTec 3AT, and consider it very safe for the same reasons.

Steve

I like my revolver. I pull the trigger and she fires! No real safety
problems in 30 years

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
JC wrote:

[...]

I'll confess to carrying with the chamber empty sometimes, and other times,
with one in the chamber. It's a Kahr K-40, so there's no safety. My criteria
for deciding how to carry at any given time are so complex that I'd rather
not try and explain. But, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the
likelihood of the gun being dropped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'll confess to carrying with the chamber empty sometimes, and other
times, with one in the chamber. It's a Kahr K-40, so there's no
safety. My criteria for deciding how to carry at any given time are
so complex that I'd rather not try and explain. But, it has nothing
whatsoever to do with the likelihood of the gun being dropped.

In reality, I do it the same way. If I feel I'm going to be in a threatening
environment, I put one in the pipe. But that is few and far between, as I
prefer to avoid areas of potential trouble if I can.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'll confess to carrying with the chamber empty sometimes, and other
times, with one in the chamber. It's a Kahr K-40, so there's no
safety. My criteria for deciding how to carry at any given time are
so complex that I'd rather not try and explain. But, it has nothing
whatsoever to do with the likelihood of the gun being dropped.

In reality, I do it the same way. If I feel I'm going to be in a
threatening environment, I put one in the pipe. But that is few and far
between, as I prefer to avoid areas of potential trouble if I can.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

If I'm in a crowded place where I'm gonna get jostled a lot, I never keep
one in the pipe. In rec.guns, I'll occasionally see some fake soldier claim
there's no way anyone could get his gun out of his holster because he's so
tough. Bull****. There's always someone stronger or faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:56:22 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........

To increase you odds at Russian roulette?

Read the 2-3 messages before this one. Things will either make sense, or
they won't.

Do you even know how a revolver works?. Please explain any advantage
to having one chamber empty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:56:22 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

Did you ever carry a revolver? If yes, did you leave one hole in the
cylinder empty?

What purpose would that serve?..........

To increase you odds at Russian roulette?

Read the 2-3 messages before this one. Things will either make sense, or
they won't.

Do you even know how a revolver works?. Please explain any advantage
to having one chamber empty.

You never saw me suggest there was an advantage to doing that. If you
disagree, please point out the text which you believe represents the idea
you're suggesting.

And yes, I own two revolvers.