Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow Draining Bathtub

I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I don't
believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to
correct the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I don't
believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as to how
to correct the problem?

Step 1: Remove the strainer and peek down there with a flashlight. You might
find gobs of hair combined with soap. Grab with long tweezers. Flush with
hot water.

Step 2: If you find hair, get a better strainer, or make the women clean out
the drain next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Step 2: If you find hair, get a better strainer, or make the women clean out
the drain next time.

In my house, much more of my hair is going down the drain.. at least
for a little while longer until I run out entirely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:
I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I don't
believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to
correct the problem?

Get a DIY book that covers tub drains so you
know how they work.

I don't like chemicals due to corrosion.

You can snake from the trip lever/overflow
opening. Or use a Shop Vac to suck/blow
at the drain opening. Plug the overflow
with wet rags.

*lots* of things can and do go badly
working on old drains. Experience counts
in this situation.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:52:35 -0500, "Ultraglide"
wrote:

I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I don't
believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to
correct the problem?

Try a plunger and stuff the overspill. Flush with hot water. If that
doesn't work...
Raise the pop-up stopper. Gently pull up the stopper and rocker arm.
Then remove the cover plate screws with linkage. Clean all the hair
and debris from all parts and reassemble. Flush with hot water. I
suggest buying a plastic strainer that rests over the drain to catch
any hair if you find a hair clog (you will need to instruct tub users
must clean the hair trap after each use.) If this cleaning doesn't
work try using an auger from the drum trap. If the drum trap is not
accessible auger through the overflow. HTH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 5:24 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Can be either hair and grease, in which case treat with hydroxide.

Might be calcium scale, which is treated with acid.

Did you google drain cleaners?

--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Ultraglide" wrote in message

I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I don't
believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to
correct the problem?

REALLY BAD ADVICE!

I never use chemical drain cleaners. They are tough on pipes, and not
very effective. Worse yet, you get to "wear" them when they don't
work and you have to snake or plunge it. Speedy Jim hit the nail on
the head!

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

i have cleared mine useing a 12 elec wire about a foot long
,bend a hook on the end , push it in and pull it out can catch the hair
or whatever ..yukkkk..i have one tub i use a garden hose and pressure
flush the drain to get it flowing..those 15.00 drain snake drums you
hook a drill to have done the job for me before too. good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

As you can see, it sort of depends....

I would agree with all the suggestions, depending on exactly what your
have and what is clogging it,. except for the chemical cleaners. I would
stay away from them.

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I
don't believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as
to how to correct the problem?

A gallon of bleach is relatively innocuous and dissolves hair fairly
well. I usually try that, then call in the plumber. The real plumber,
not the high school dropout working for some company whose name ends in
"rooter." Snaking a drain looks easy and it sounds easy, too, but it
takes some skill and finesse to do it well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

As you can see, it sort of depends....

I would agree with all the suggestions, depending on exactly what
your
have and what is clogging it,. except for the chemical cleaners. I would
stay away from them.

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I
don't believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions
as
to how to correct the problem?

A gallon of bleach is relatively innocuous and dissolves hair fairly
well. I usually try that, then call in the plumber. The real plumber,
not the high school dropout working for some company whose name ends in
"rooter." Snaking a drain looks easy and it sounds easy, too, but it
takes some skill and finesse to do it well.

If the clog is further down the pipe, the bleach will be stuck in the pipe
along with the water. When the pipe is opened for snaking, the person doing
the work will want to kill you. No chemicals of any kind until other methods
are tried first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i have cleared mine useing a 12 elec wire about a foot long
,bend a hook on the end , push it in and pull it out can catch the hair
or whatever ..yukkkk..i have one tub i use a garden hose and pressure
flush the drain to get it flowing..those 15.00 drain snake drums you
hook a drill to have done the job for me before too. good luck.

Our shower drain slowed rather suddenly, so I got a coat hanger (you
don't want to get it stuck in
a drain), bent a hook on the tip, and fished out a disgusting and
amazing glob of hair. Dropped one of the screws
for the drain cover into the drain, but hubby has a neat, telescoping
magnet thingy which enabled us to get to
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have just noticed that one of our bathtubs drains rather slowly. I don't
believe that it was always that slow. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to
correct the problem?

I've had good luck with the compressed air drain cleaners, but you
must plug the overflow to work the best. On a tub, that would be
pretty hard.

Otherwise, a manual drain snake from the home stores is the next best
solution.

samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 10:05 am, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
i have cleared mine useing a 12 elec wire about a foot long
,bend a hook on the end , push it in and pull it out can catch the hair
or whatever ..yukkkk..i have one tub i use a garden hose and pressure
flush the drain to get it flowing..those 15.00 drain snake drums you
hook a drill to have done the job for me before too. good luck.

Our shower drain slowed rather suddenly, so I got a coat hanger (you
don't want to get it stuck in
a drain), bent a hook on the tip, and fished out a disgusting and
amazing glob of hair. Dropped one of the screws
for the drain cover into the drain, but hubby has a neat, telescoping
magnet thingy which enabled us to get to
it.

Just clear the drain for hair. You don't have to be a handyman for
that.
http://www.planorealestateadvisor.com

slow draining shower alath Home Repair 12 June 7th 07 03:19 AM
SLOW DRAINING C A Home Repair 4 April 19th 07 02:18 PM
Slow draining toilet [email protected] Home Repair 18 March 31st 07 11:37 PM
slow draining sink? Lee Carkenord Home Repair 2 October 9th 04 05:25 PM
Very slow draining of bath, how to cure? [email protected] UK diy 26 December 14th 03 10:32 PM