Posted to misc.consumers.house, alt.home.repair

Default Pergo in the kitchen

My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

We have a dark cherry colored Pergo in the living room and it would be
nice to carry that into the kitchen and dining room. I'm hesitant,
because we're only going to be in this house a few more years, and I
don't want a stupid mistake to ruin our resell value in an already
unstable market.

Thanks for your input!
Posted to misc.consumers.house, alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 3, 3:25 pm, wrote:
My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

We have a dark cherry colored Pergo in the living room and it would be
nice to carry that into the kitchen and dining room. I'm hesitant,
because we're only going to be in this house a few more years, and I
don't want a stupid mistake to ruin our resell value in an already
unstable market.

Thanks for your input!

I'd say "don't do it." If your dishwasher, sink, etc. leaks it will
warp and there's no fixing it but to redo it. Happened to a friend of
mine; he got a sweet deal on rent with the understanding that he'd do
handyman type stuff around the house. His landlady wanted Pergo in
the kitchen and guess what happened...

nate
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article
,
N8N wrote:

On Dec 3, 3:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'd say do it, and make sure your dishwasher and sink don't leak. Pergo
looks great in the kitchen.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

We have a dark cherry colored Pergo in the living room and it would be
nice to carry that into the kitchen and dining room. I'm hesitant,
because we're only going to be in this house a few more years, and I
don't want a stupid mistake to ruin our resell value in an already
unstable market.

Thanks for your input!

If you like it, and you're going to sell soon, do it. I know several people who
did it, love it, and the wood-look is in style for kitchens so it should be fine
for resell.

If you wait too long to sell, though, the wood floor look for kitchens will be
out of style again (because there are practical issues) and you'll have
prospective buyers figuring in what it takes to put something considered the
fashion at that time. And IME it doesn't take much for people to change plans;
you might be there longer than you think.

So all in all, I think the best thing to do is to do what you *want* and take
whatever the applicable percautions are. If it's Pergo, put in the Pergo, and
be careful about the Pergo, and enjoy the Pergo.

Banty (hates Pergo. Hates it in the kitchen, hates it in the living room.
Hates it on a plate, hates it with a steak.)

On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, wrote:
My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

We have a dark cherry colored Pergo in the living room and it would be
nice to carry that into the kitchen and dining room. I'm hesitant,
because we're only going to be in this house a few more years, and I
don't want a stupid mistake to ruin our resell value in an already
unstable market.

Thanks for your input!

We put Pergo in the kitchen a couple years ago and from a practical
point of view it has been fine; no problems with warping or anything,
it seems immune to spills and chairs scraping and it cleans up fine.
I have to say, though, that both my wife and I came to regret it from
an aesthetic standpoint. The fakeness of it just started to grate on
our nerves after a while. Just a personal reaction, I know lots of
people love it. -- H

On Dec 3, 4:51 pm, Heathcliff wrote:
On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, wrote:

[...]

And also from a resale standpoint, unlike a real wood floor, Pergo
isn't going to add much if anything to the value. The smarter move
may be to use tile in the kitchen, which buyers are going to focus
on. IMO, tile is better suited. But wood can be fine, though it
does have increased risk from any water problems that aren't quickly
found and corrected.

On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, wrote:
My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

We have a dark cherry colored Pergo in the living room and it would be
nice to carry that into the kitchen and dining room. I'm hesitant,
because we're only going to be in this house a few more years, and I
don't want a stupid mistake to ruin our resell value in an already
unstable market.

Thanks for your input!

Real hardwood 2 1/4 inch strip oak or maple will hold up better to any
pipe breaks. The wear patina is very nice after a few years too.
Once the masonite substrate of Pergo gets wet it will balloon out and
delaminate badly. Hardwood will simply separate a little but still
look great if it was nail installed once it dries out.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:

Real hardwood 2 1/4 inch strip oak or maple will hold up better to any
pipe breaks. The wear patina is very nice after a few years too.
Once the masonite substrate of Pergo gets wet it will balloon out and
delaminate badly. Hardwood will simply separate a little but still
look great if it was nail installed once it dries out.

I had a fitting leak on a new dishwasher in my house -- very small amount
of drain water, but I didn't catch it for two weeks when my real oak floor
had warped a little. About 4 boards wide and about 2-3 inches long. Not
visibly noticeable unless you get up close (on your knees), but you can
feel it with sock feet.

I suspect it would be possible to sand it out, and over time it seems smoother.

On Dec 3, 5:00 pm, Howard Beale wrote:
RickH wrote:
Real hardwood 2 1/4 inch strip oak or maple will hold up better to any
pipe breaks. The wear patina is very nice after a few years too.
Once the masonite substrate of Pergo gets wet it will balloon out and
delaminate badly. Hardwood will simply separate a little but still
look great if it was nail installed once it dries out.

I had a fitting leak on a new dishwasher in my house -- very small amount
of drain water, but I didn't catch it for two weeks when my real oak floor
had warped a little. About 4 boards wide and about 2-3 inches long. Not
visibly noticeable unless you get up close (on your knees), but you can
feel it with sock feet.

I suspect it would be possible to sand it out, and over time it seems smoother.

I have maple pergo in the kitchen, its holding up well but shows all
dirt since its so smooth. There are alot of vinyl tiles that look like
stone that I now prefer. If you drop a pot and chip the pergo you are
in trouble.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh, I quite agree- I saw lots of fake floors while I was house shopping,
and the faux-woodgrain laminates always felt like I was walking on a
countertop.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 3:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'll give you that. We had glued laminate in our kitchen, and one of those
chrome-steel sink traps rusted through and caused a small dripping leak.
You guessed it, it tee-pee'd the floor and basically trashed it. This
flooring cannot withstand any moisture at all. Laminates were all the rage
years ago, but they are going the way of orange countertops and green
appliances. Some perspective buyers don't care for the "fakee" wood floor.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:25:45 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

Only sheet vinyl flooring and tile are the "perfect" kitchen floors
from the standpoint of water resistance, but sometimes one or the
other isn't practical for some reason. For us, tile would be way too
hard and cold in our winters, and the sheet vinyl gets expensive for
the good stuff since it's hard to DIY.

Previous owners laid down an Armstrong snap-together laminate floor in
the kitchen that has held up rather well over 11+ years. It has
resisted years of snow and rain brought in on people's boots and dogs'
paws from the back door, which is really the primary entry for the
house, and doesn't look all that bad. Where the wear is noticeable is
at the seams where the boards are locked together; this stuff was
glued back then, and in a couple of areas the glue failed and the
boards separated a little. But I'm not complaining.

I hate the fake wood look of this product, though, so when we tear
this stuff out in the spring (and put it back down on the basement
laundry room floor: why throw it in the landfill if we can use it
another way?), we're going to lay down a Shaw or Mannington tile
laminate flooring design that ought to be easy to put down and look
pretty good. The newer floorings have been treated for better
moisture resistance, and they click together very tightly, so they're
very good value for the money. Go for it, but check out the tile
designs, too.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers says...

Heathcliff wrote:
On Dec 3, 2:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

Worse, since it has a little bit of 'spring' to it. Although Pergo-lovers tell
me that's part of its appeal - 'easy on the feet' and all that.

To me, put a decent sheet linoleum down if not tile. Wood, fake or real,
doesn't belong on kitchen floors.

But a lot of people feel otherwise. I can't tell you how many people sung the
praises of Pergo kitchen floors to me when I was making that decision.

Banty (a good porcelain tile, with dark grout, for me)

On Dec 3, 12:25 pm, wrote:
My husband and I are ready to replace the nasty black and white
checkerboard vinyl floor in our kitchen, but we're having a hard time
getting a definitive answer: *Is it safe to install Pergo in the
kitchen?*

We have a dark cherry colored Pergo in the living room and it would be
nice to carry that into the kitchen and dining room. I'm hesitant,
because we're only going to be in this house a few more years, and I
don't want a stupid mistake to ruin our resell value in an already
unstable market.

Thanks for your input!

Pergo isn't supposed to be installed anywhere water might get on it
(i.e. kitchens and bathrooms). However, I've had GREAT luck with
Pergo floors in these areas even when there's been a leak after
installation. I always use waterproof wood glue in every joint as I
install the flooring. Then, in addition to the 1/4" silicone caulk
that is supposed to be installed around the perimeter of the floor, I
seal the base moulding and quarter-round with paintable silicone
caulk.

By installing the floor this way, I minimize the chances of water
seeping between the floor joints as well as in the corners/perimeter
of he floor. It takes a little longer to lay the flooring, but its
easier and cheaper than having the planks swell from water damage
later on.

Paul Daniels
http://foreclosureshortsale101.com/

wrote:

[...]

VERY REAL VERY FAST $9 TO $9000 IN WEEKS /THRU PAYPAL

If you are already working a home business, you can do this one along
with it. If not, this is the easiest way to earn $$$ online that
you've ever seen! Just be sure to read it all...take your time, come
back to it... go over and over it, you won't be sorry. Reading this is
VERY important!

WHAT IF I share with you a way to make some fast and easy cash, using
a copy of this letter and the simplest Internet Payment System
around?

WHAT IF it took only a half hour to set it up? Even if you are already
in another program, stay with it, but do yourself a favor and DO THIS
ONE as well.

There is NO LIMIT to the income you can generate from this business!!

THE FACTS ARE SIMPLE;- IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS
REALLY FAST, THEN THIS PROGRAM I'M GOING TO SHARE WITH YOU IS THE WAY
TO DO IT! IT'S THE FASTEST, EASIEST PROGRAM YOU WILL EVER DO!!! Please
read all of this, right to the last sentence.

Everyone has heard about "PayPal" (if you haven't you will soon) and,
when I came across this concept I knew it would work because, as a
member of PayPal, I had already experienced their efficiency and
excellent standing. PayPal is the simplest method of making and
receiving payments online anyone has ever seen! Anyone with an email
address can join, for FREE! Please read further before you go there...
You can complete this whole process in less than one hour and you will
never forget the day you decided to do so!!! Oh!, Did I say FAST? By
fast I mean 'the speed of the Internet-type fast.' Everything is done
on the Internet by E-mail. And, if you abide by the rules, it is NOT
considered SPAM, so it's perfectly legal!

NEED PROOF? Here are just two testimonials from individuals who
decided to invest nothing more than a little of their time.

TESTIMONIALS FROM:

Dell Fairbanks, Athens, Ga: Hey! I got your e-mail! YOU ROCK! I sent
it to all of our frat brothers.....and while I haven't seen my $20
grand yet, I'm up to $8,285. Hook me up when you run this program
again.

John Bently, Athens, Ga: Hey cuz! This is John. I only have one thing
to say to you... OH MY GOD! I sent 20 e-mail's out like you said and
went on vacation. When I got back, my account was up to over $12,000!
I owe you!

GETTING STARTED.

If you're not already a user, the very first thing you need to do is
go to PayPal and SIGN UP. It takes two minutes and PayPal will deposit
$5.00 in your account once you start using it. That makes this program
nearly FREE!

BE SURE TO USE SIGN UP FOR A (PREMIER) (FREE) ACCOUNT OR YOU'LL BE
LIMITED TO ACCEPTING $100 DOLLARS ONLY!!! YOU WILL MAKE MUCH MORE THAN
THIS!!!

Then...... SEND a three $3.00 payment from your PayPal Account ($5.00
you can earn back from Paypal, which makes this program Nearly FREE!)
to the email addresses in this letter (No.1) along with a note saying
"Please add me to your mailing list." BE PREPARED TO GET EXCITED....
YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!! Don't laugh! Try this while you wait for
the others to start working. One half hour of work to get started - no
mailing lists, no printing, copying or waiting and the concept is 100%
legal. (refer to US Lottery Laws, #####le 18, Section 1302 and 1341,
or #####le 18, Section 3005 in the US code, also in the code of
Federal Regulations, Volume 16, Sections 255 and 436, which state a
product or service must be exchanged for money received). This version
has nothing to do with Postal Laws, as it's EMAIL ONLY.

Here's How It Works. Unlike many other PayPal programs, this THREE
LEVEL PROGRAM costs only $9, that's right, only $9 ONCE, which is much
more realistic and much, much faster results. No cheating can occur
(Don't be fooled by other PayPal letters that mention cheaters) as
Paypal only allows One Account per person. Because it is so easy, the
response rate is VERY HIGH, VERY FAST-Internet E-mail FAST, and you
will start seeing results in less than one week! JUST IN TIME FOR NEXT
MONTHS BILLS! You need only mail out 20 copies to start with. Start
right away, and send to personal contacts and reply to people who send
their programs to you as they are already working on the web. They
know these programs work and they are already believers in the system!
This is NOT considered SPAM if you are responding to people or sending
to friends.

Once you have paid the $3 to the three email accounts at the end of
this letter, please send an email to the (No.3) position, with "THANKS
I'VE JOINED" in the subject (topic) area, and I'll send you a copy of
the "Follow Up Letter" that is FULL of TIPS and HINTS on where to
obtain THOUSANDS of spam free email addresses to send to, where to
find free web based email accounts to send your emails from,
instructions on how not to lose a web based email account and much,
much MORE!!

This program is MUCH, MUCH FASTER and has a HIGHER RESPONSE RATE than
any other program! Even if you are already in another program, stay
with it, but do yourself a favor and DO THIS ONE as well. START RIGHT
NOW!

It's simple and will only cost $9.00 max. It will pay off long before
others even begin to receive letters! Just give ONE person a $5.00
gift (REMEMBER THOUGH, YOU GET BACK $5.00 WHEN YOU START USING YOUR
new PayPal Account). That's all!! If you already have a PayPal
Account, please still donate a $3.00 GIFT to each person on the three
person list and add your name on the list at No.3 position, having
moved up the remaining two. Follow the simple instructions and in two
weeks you will have approximately $20,000 in your PayPal Account!

Because of the VIRTUALLY ZERO INVESTMENT, SPEED, and HIGH PROFIT
POTENTIAL, this program has a VERY HIGH RESPONSE RATE! All from just
three $3.00 transactions that you can get back from PayPal!!!

Follow These Simple Instructions:
https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=DUXBS5FG3VM9S

Once you link to the Paypal site using the link above, open your
PayPal Account, and E-mail one at a time the $3.00 payment to the
three recipients at in the list at the bottom of this along with a
"note" in the NOTE AREA of that page, saying "SUBSCRIBE ME TO YOUR
MAILING LIST". Be certain to add this note, as this is what KEEPS THIS
LETTER LEGAL. Instructions on how to send a payment are under "SEND
MONEY" at the Paypal Site. It's Soooo Easy!!

Edit the list, REMOVING the FIRST (No.1) EMAIL ADDRESS FROM THE LIST
after you have made the $3 payments. Then, move the other two email
addresses UP and ADD YOUR PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS in the (No.3) position.
Don't try to add your name in the first place in order to earn money
fast! If you do that, you will ONLY reach people you send e- mail to
then your name will be immediately removed from the No.1 place and you
won't reach thousands of people! But, if you add your name on the (No.
3) place, there will be millions of people receiving and sending e-
mail's later, when your name is (No.1)!!!

NOTE: Do not forget to replace the PayPal referring URL in the body of
the letter with your own PayPal referring URL. You can find YOUR
referring URL at Paypal after you join. Just look at the bottom of the
first page once you sign into Paypal, and click on the "referrals"
link.

Send out 20 copies (minimum) of this letter, but only to people you
know, or respond to MLM offers. Once you've paid the person in the (No.
1) position, be sure to email the person in the (No.3) position with
"Thanks, I've Joined" as a topic in the reply. You will then receive a
follow up letter that is full of SPAM free hints and tips to insure
your success in this version of the PayPal Letter.

ALSO NOTE: By sending this letter and the payment via E-MAIL, the
response time is much faster.......... ELECTRONIC TRANSFER INTERNET
FAST!!!

Consider this! Millions of people surf the Internet everyday, all day,
all over the world! Here are the 3 people to start with. Sign up, send
$3.00 to the each person, move the other two up to (Nos. 1 & 2)
respectively and add your own e-mail address at (No.3). Be sure to use
your email address that is associated with your PayPal Account.

*************************************
1.
2.

3.

If you are worried about life's many expenses check out my money
making process to turn $9 into $9000. Go to that myspace link and
test it out. If you have $9 to spend on usless trinkets then you
could spend it on this and make lots of money Quick. THIS IS NOT A
SCAM YOU WILL MAKE MONEY FROM THIS.

!-- Copied from MySpace.com --
a href="http://www.myspace.com/cashnowquick"
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 3, 12:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

I installed Pergo in our kitchen about 12 or 14 years ago. It still
looks good if you don't look too close; it has a couple of chips and
minor water damage where someone spilled something on a seam and didn't
clean it up. Things you could fix if it was real wood instead of
laminate. But I doubt anyone except me (because I installed it) would
see the problems.

Bob