Posted to alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

Default Pergo Floors

What do you think? Anything to look for especially? We have decided
to get rid of the indoor/outdoor carpet, since the dog came. But
Pergo seems ideal and easier to keep clean.

Any opinions?

TIA

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Have a pergo in kitchen, light wood, 2 dogs, it always looks dirty
because the floor is so perfectly smooth and even in shine. It will hold
up but it depends on area used. We have real oak and tile and they dont
show dirt like pergos semi gloss finish. I heard the complaint before
but did not believe it till I saw it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Do you mean laminate flooring in general? Pergo used to be "the
name" now there are many manufacturers.

I installed some in my basement workshops. 7 mm thick, treated seams,
35 year warrranty for under $1.00 sq.ft.. It looks good. You can
spend a lot more.

There should be no standing water on the floor, so you would need to
be diligent wiping up around doorways.

The floor doesn't feel like wood - it's not.

A tablesaw and a spinsaw make the job a great deal easier. It's pretty
easy to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

"smithfarms pure kona" wrote
What do you think? Anything to look for especially? We have decided
to get rid of the indoor/outdoor carpet, since the dog came. But
Pergo seems ideal and easier to keep clean.

Any opinions?

You may or may not like them, but I'm partial to the Pergo tiles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

Whether you use Pergo or not, the dog will come again unless you get
him neutered..... :-)

"We have decided to get rid of the indoor/outdoor carpet, since the dog
came. But
Pergo seems ideal and easier to keep clean."

Posted to alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

On 20 Mar 2006 05:10:58 -0800, wrote:

Pergo type laminate is what it is. It's lower cost and can be a

good
choice for the right application. For me, that would likely be a
basement office, or similar, where appearance isn't top on the list,
but better moisture resistance is, etc. If it were a main living
area, and depending on the value of the house, I'd at least consider
going with a real engineered wood. It's more expensive, but it looks
like real wood, where Pergo can look pretty good, but it deosn't look
like real wood. And when you go to sell, I think real wood is a
feature that does add some value to the price.

Thank you all again!!!

We live near the rainforest,in a very rural area, 4 wheel drive, a
coffee farm, no mail delivery, no municipal water etc--very rural so I
doubt that when we sell this place, anyone will really care about our
floor--if it looks clean. I do care. Our spayed female Border
Collie (think BOING BOING BOING) runs around like a nut. In one door
and out the other.

I have seen an ad for Pergo (in the Lowe's flyer) and it came in a
dark color too. I think, after no harsh comments from you all, that I
am next going to ask a carpet installer we have used before and go
forth. If I can see the dirt, at least I can clean it. The carpet
just seems to get murkier and murkier in color- and I imagine the
colony growing below.

A multitude of thanks to you all for your valuable input!!!!

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

With that much dirt you are better off with a flat finish medium dark
product. Pergo will show everything with its smooth satin finish. I know
now our kitchen never looks clean but for 5 minutes with 2 dogs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Read warranties. Compare Mannington with Pergo and others especially on
water and wear and tear issues. After doing that we went with a Mannington
click floor and it is doing great. Even in kitchen, bath and laundry rooms.

"smithfarms pure kona" wrote in message
What do you think? Anything to look for especially? We have decided
to get rid of the indoor/outdoor carpet, since the dog came. But
Pergo seems ideal and easier to keep clean.

Any opinions?

TIA

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair
central_scrutinizer

I would go for real hardwood, if you can afford it. I was looking into
this recently, and my friends who do construction and remodelling told
me Pergo is not that great. Basically, they said it is a picture of
wood on some substrate. When this "picture" layer gets scratched, you
don't have wood underneath, but the substrate. I was at a restaurant
that had Pergo floors, and I noticed that where it was scratched, it
showed black underneath. Maybe you can fill it with wood filler...

The better quality Pergo isn't that cheap. I think some of it has a 25
year warranty, but that seems to cost as much as hardwood. I would
recommend www.floormall.com for hardwood. I did a lot of shopping
around, and if you call these guys, you can negotiate with them. They
beat any price I could find, and were way cheaper than Lowes or The
Home Despot, even when shipping is factored in.

A few other posts seem to favor wood (either solid or engineered) over
Pergo. I used to think Pergo was pretty good, but now I realize the
issue. With wood, you can re-finish it, even sand it down. Scratches
can be filled with wood filler. Most of the wood flooring is already
coated with aluminum oxide or strong polyuerthane varnish.

As far as cleaning, there are a variety of products for cleaning
hardwood... From swiffer to the orange hardwood floor kit.

If you want to minimize your diggity dog's foot clipping, you may
consider putting some cork underlayment under the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the post.
We have a wide variety of laminate floors to choose from. With
the new technology being used in the flooring industry you should not
have to be STUCK with laminate flooring. There is an alternative to
laminate
and one that I highly suggest. Engineered Hardwood flooring. These
products
are built very similar to laminates but are a cross breed of solid
flooring and laminate
flooring. We have many options on our site at
www.floormall.com/hardwood. With
engineered flooring you have the strength and structure of a laminate
but your
top layer of flooring is REAL wood. These product are very reasonably
priced
and you have thousands of options. We always encourage our customers to
haggle
with our Sales Associates. With www.floormall.com ALL pricing is
negotiable. Shouldnt
it always be? Enjoy shopping!!