Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Care and maintenance of hardwood floors

We recently had the oak floors in our home refinished with 3 coats of glitsa
solvent swedish finish(non-waterbase). The only room in the house that did
not have the floors refinished was the bathroom. Even the kitchen had oak
hardwood floors once I removed the exsisting linoleum and all the adhesive
that went with it(what a wonderful job that is!)

I would like to do everything possible to keep the floors in good shape. I
have put pads/felt/etc on the bottom of all the furniture and I have figured
out a way to protect the kitchen floor from the stove and refrigerator
bottoms. We also have good quality floor matts at both entrances to the
finished areas.

What is the best method for day to day cleaning? Suggestions have included
vacuuming(not using the brush roller), sweeping the floors using a synthetic
bristle broom that will not scratch, and using a dust mop.

For a more thorough cleaning, should we be some type of solution applied
with a mop and then dried right away? I know you are not supposed to use
wax, but are there other manufactured cleaners that work well and are safe?

What about cleaning up scuff marks,water spots,etc. What is the best method
to quickly and safely remove this type of problem.

Thank you all very much for your assistance.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Read the label on the can or contact the company that made it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped
For a more thorough cleaning, should we be some type of solution applied
with a mop and then dried right away? I know you are not supposed to use
wax, but are there other manufactured cleaners that work well and are safe?

What about cleaning up scuff marks,water spots,etc. What is the best method
to quickly and safely remove this type of problem.

Thank you all very much for your assistance.

Bob

The best thing you can do for wood floors is remove your shoes at the
door ) That keeps a lot of sand from being carried in and wearing
down or scratching the finish. I've never heard of the particular
finish used on your floor - the product label would be the best source
to find instructions. Wonder of wonders, they have a website:
http://www.glitsa.com/maintenance.cfm

My experience with wood floors was with old fashioned varnish. Damp mop
once in a while, wax, buff once a year or so. Wipe up food spills as
they occur, don't put wet/damp stuff on the floor. Flower pots on the
floor should be in a stand and have a dish to catch water. Be sure to
vacuum under throw rugs and mats, as they collect sand and will scratch
floor. Mats with rubber or plastic backing may stick or stain the
finish. If you have children, send them to boarding school )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Water, white vinegar and ammonia mixed in a spray bottle. 16 oz of
water with 1 oz of vinegar and ammonia each. Though I use 2 oz for a
stronger dose. This keeps the hardwood floors clean and looking nice.
Also great for other around the house clean ups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Geez... I like that last advice, but realistically...

Save your money to just have them touched up every
few years! (recoated)

The more coats of poly the better. In kitchen areas
make sure to get a few on there. It'll seal up the floor
to prevent water from getting in there when the spills happen.

Sand and animals are your worst enemy. They can dull
those floors down in no time.