Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bamboo vs. Pergo

We live in Hawaii near the rain forest. Half the year is quite wet
and half is dry. My friend was going to put in Pergo flooring as she
has some in her house already and it looks great and has lasted well
in spite of 3 huge golden retrievers.

She just asked me what I knew about Bamboo floors and I said I knew
nothing about either, but you all are such a smart group, I would ask
your opinion. YOu guys know everything!

What are the problems and what are the differnces between Pergo adn
Bamboo and if you could point me some where so I could read it , I'd
be happy with that too.

She needs to get this project underway within 2 weeks, so time is
important.

Thank you SO MUCH for any advice.

with aloha,
Beans.
--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

No surprise--Pergo is some tough ****.

She just asked me what I knew about Bamboo floors and I said I knew
nothing about either, but you all are such a smart group, I would ask
your opinion. YOu guys know everything!

Or at least think we do.

What are the problems and what are the differnces between Pergo adn
Bamboo and if you could point me some where so I could read it , I'd
be happy with that too.

What's the value of the home this is going into?

From what I've seen in my brief look at Bamboo is that it's friggin
gorgeous and is quite the rage in high end homes, but your friend
should prepare for stickershock because that stuff is expensive to
manufacture and pricey as hell. I had to rule it out on cost. It's
also a natural product and consider quite eco friendly because bamboo
is a grass that regrows itself quickly doesn't need fertilizer and all
that. While bamboo is very tough--as hard as maple or oak, but even
denser, Pergo is pretty tough to beat in terms of durability. But
it's not natural wood.

So basically it boils down to personal preference and budget. If
there's a need to appeal to high end buyers or a high end look is
desired, or bringing a bit of the island flora into the decor and cost
isn't a problem, go for it. Otherwise, in terms of durability and
look tradeoffs, Pergo is tough to beat.

She needs to get this project underway within 2 weeks, so time is
important.

You'll want to quickly factor in where and how quickly you can get
product there then. That and the preference in look will be you
guides on this I think.

Thank you SO MUCH for any advice.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
We live in Hawaii near the rain forest. Half the year is quite wet
and half is dry. My friend was going to put in Pergo flooring as she
has some in her house already and it looks great and has lasted well
in spite of 3 huge golden retrievers.

She just asked me what I knew about Bamboo floors and I said I knew
nothing about either, but you all are such a smart group, I would ask
your opinion. YOu guys know everything!

What are the problems and what are the differnces between Pergo adn
Bamboo and if you could point me some where so I could read it , I'd
be happy with that too.

Pergo (and other laminate products) are likely to be considerably
cheaper than good quality bamboo. Pergo will likely prove more
durable too, although it doesn't tolerate a lot of moisture. I have
no idea how well bamboo tolerates water however.

As a manufactured versus natural product, Pergo is totally
consistent whereas bamboo will show much more variation in
color, texture, quality and everything else. Of course, the
asthetic appeal of manufactured versus natural products is
in the eye of the beholder but it's often the determining
factor in these decisions.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

My brother in law is putting a bamboo floor in his house right now, it
is gorgeous, but it is a 3 ply sheet (about 5/8"thick total) of real
bamboo wood, where a laminate is a harder basic wood than bamboo, so
the real trick is the finish and how hard that is. for my part I still
go with bruce flooring ( I had a fire in my kitchen and wound up with
the safety glass from the stove shattered and sent 750 degree glass all
over the bruce floor and after wiping up the fire extingusisher residue
the floor looked brand new still)

Empressess #124457

The best Games

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

We have Bruce prefinished floor. Except for dents where things were
dropped, the floor pretty much looks new. The gloss is incredible after 9
years of use and mere vaccuuming for cleaning. Whenever we wipe it down
(seldom) the wipes are perfectly clean.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...
writes:

We live in Hawaii near the rain forest. Half the year is quite wet
and half is dry. My friend was going to put in Pergo flooring as she
has some in her house already and it looks great and has lasted well
in spite of 3 huge golden retrievers.

No surprise--Pergo is some tough ****.

She just asked me what I knew about Bamboo floors and I said I knew
nothing about either, but you all are such a smart group, I would ask
your opinion. YOu guys know everything!

Or at least think we do.

What are the problems and what are the differnces between Pergo adn
Bamboo and if you could point me some where so I could read it , I'd
be happy with that too.

What's the value of the home this is going into?

From what I've seen in my brief look at Bamboo is that it's friggin
gorgeous and is quite the rage in high end homes, but your friend
should prepare for stickershock because that stuff is expensive to
manufacture and pricey as hell. I had to rule it out on cost. It's
also a natural product and consider quite eco friendly because bamboo
is a grass that regrows itself quickly doesn't need fertilizer and all
that. While bamboo is very tough--as hard as maple or oak, but even
denser, Pergo is pretty tough to beat in terms of durability. But
it's not natural wood.

Bamboo isn't all that pricey. I put down 700sq.ft. last year for
about $2500, including installation and tear-up of the vinyl floor
and some subfloor replacement. In fact it was cheaper to go bamboo
than a mid-grade vinyl replacement floor.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

Keith Williams writes:

Bamboo isn't all that pricey. I put down 700sq.ft. last year for
about $2500, including installation and tear-up of the vinyl floor
and some subfloor replacement. In fact it was cheaper to go bamboo
than a mid-grade vinyl replacement floor.

Wow, interestting. Perhaps I managed to pick the most expensive
supplier to quote and didn't bother looking further. I may revisit
it in the future. Thanks for the post Keith.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...
Keith Williams writes:

Bamboo isn't all that pricey. I put down 700sq.ft. last year for
about $2500, including installation and tear-up of the vinyl floor
and some subfloor replacement. In fact it was cheaper to go bamboo
than a mid-grade vinyl replacement floor.

Wow, interestting. Perhaps I managed to pick the most expensive
supplier to quote and didn't bother looking further. I may revisit
it in the future. Thanks for the post Keith.

This is the stuff I bought:

http://www.diyflooring.com/item_3344...ed-medium.html

The price seems to vary quite a bit (as low as $260/sq.ft. a while
back). It's *easy* to put down (every piece is perfect). In fact
if I did it again, I'd do the work. It would take me longer, but I
think I could do a better job. The only hard part was ripping up
the vinyl and cleaning the old glue off the floor (and the guy I
hired hired a kid to do that .

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We live in Hawaii near the rain forest. Half the year is quite wet
and half is dry. My friend was going to put in Pergo flooring as she
has some in her house already and it looks great and has lasted well
in spite of 3 huge golden retrievers.

Go for the Bamboo. I had my whole house done in Pergo 6 years ago when
laminate was still kind of new and quite pricey. I had to have it taken out
of the kitchen when it was a year old because the dishwasher overflowed and
buckled it. Had to have it taken out of my son's room 2 years ago when he
had a small aquarium leak and now I need to have the family room replaced
because somebody spilled a soda and didn;t wipe it up well enough or fast
enough, (or both.). You think you are safe from water in certain rooms, but
I never thought of spills. My firends dog peed on her laminate when it was
sick and buckled it. The stuff cannot take ANY water. Otehr than that, it
is tough and you couldn't ask for more. I am going with hardwood, probably
bamboo since it is a renewable resource unlike mahogany, teak, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sp628" wrote in message
I am going with hardwood, probably bamboo since it is a renewable
resource unlike mahogany, teak, etc.

Mahogany and teak are renewable, but it just take much longer. Decades
longer

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"sp628" wrote in message
I am going with hardwood, probably bamboo since it is a renewable
resource unlike mahogany, teak, etc.

Mahogany and teak are renewable, but it just take much longer. Decades
longer

I just purchased some solid bamboo in 5/8" thickness...........HD and
another tool renter says the airtool is only setup for 3/4" flooring.
Doesn't the tool only touch the top of the flooring and not rest on
the existing floor? Can't understand why I need a specific nailer
unless the distance from the top of my new board to the tongue is diff
for 5/8 vs 3/4.

The alternative is a manual nailer but I'd sure like to use air-power
if I can. Any ideas?