Posted to alt.home.repair
sp628 sp628 is offline

Default Bamboo vs. Pergo

wrote in message
We live in Hawaii near the rain forest. Half the year is quite wet
and half is dry. My friend was going to put in Pergo flooring as she
has some in her house already and it looks great and has lasted well
in spite of 3 huge golden retrievers.

Go for the Bamboo. I had my whole house done in Pergo 6 years ago when
laminate was still kind of new and quite pricey. I had to have it taken out
of the kitchen when it was a year old because the dishwasher overflowed and
buckled it. Had to have it taken out of my son's room 2 years ago when he
had a small aquarium leak and now I need to have the family room replaced
because somebody spilled a soda and didn;t wipe it up well enough or fast
enough, (or both.). You think you are safe from water in certain rooms, but
I never thought of spills. My firends dog peed on her laminate when it was
sick and buckled it. The stuff cannot take ANY water. Otehr than that, it
is tough and you couldn't ask for more. I am going with hardwood, probably
bamboo since it is a renewable resource unlike mahogany, teak, etc.