Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dap kitchen and bath caulk still tacky?

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not so
neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the Dap
kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnage

I let caulk dry for 2 weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 12:44 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Huge beads of silicone will often shrink and cause gaps. This is a
drawback to silicone.

That said, it should be dry by now. I have had brand new tubes of
kitchen and bath caulk (non-silicone) that would never set, not even
two weeks later.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 11, 1:02 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Nov 11, 12:44 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Huge beads of silicone will often shrink and cause gaps. This is a
drawback to silicone.

That said, it should be dry by now. I have had brand new tubes of
kitchen and bath caulk (non-silicone) that would never set, not even
two weeks later.

JK

If it is an old tube it may not cure, look for an expiration date

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote on 11 Nov 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay
down a huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the
tub was not so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or
more) This is the Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

Don't poke it. The "three hours" thing is only for the surface of the
caulk. It won't cure all the way through for a few days. A thin glaze of
cured caulk on the top is good enough to protect what's underneath from
water as long as you don't get vigorous. Curing time also depends on
temperature and humidity.

Did you clean well with scrapers, scrubbers, detergent, and some type of
solvent first? Did you get all the solvent off? A contaminant might mess
up the chemistry of the caulk, slowing or stopping the cure process. I
recommend denatured alcohol as a cleaner. It evaporates completely in a
few minutes.

I tell my clients to wait a minimum of 24 hours before using the shower.
It's safer. No one has called me back yet to complain.

I did clean well, remove all old caulk (scraped surfaces with razor
blades,) scrub with hot water and dish soap, dry with heat gun, and
final wipe down with Windex before applying.

I couldn't find an expiration date on the tube; I did think to look for
it before I threw it out this AM.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:44:54 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

Red/White tube? Kind of runny viscosity? Yuck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

Red/White tube? Kind of runny viscosity? Yuck!

no, gold tube... "adhesive caulk" with antibacterials (SWMBO insisted on
this, she has a pathological fear of mold.) I haven't used Dap products
in a long time, is why I posted.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay
down a huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the
tub was not so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or
more) This is the Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

Does it still smell like vinegar? If so, it is curing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

Red/White tube? Kind of runny viscosity? Yuck!

no, gold tube... "adhesive caulk" with antibacterials (SWMBO insisted on
this, she has a pathological fear of mold.) I haven't used Dap products
in a long time, is why I posted.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Same stuff I used. Works really well but you have to let it dry thoroughly.
That's why I waited 2 weeks. But I have a 2nd bath.

3 hours? I don't think so. Even on a dry day. Maybe if you have a heat lamp
you could get it done in 12. Be sure the caulk is fresh. I've made that
mistake too.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 11, 1:02 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Nov 11, 12:44 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Huge beads of silicone will often shrink and cause gaps. This is a
drawback to silicone.

You have it backwards...the one thing silicones do better is minimal
shrinkage on cure. Easily confirmed by checking manufacturers'
specifications. The OP's problem is that the air was too dry to
promote cure which requires moisture.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

DAP makes second rate caulks. I used their "lifetime" guarantee
silicone caulk on a shower, and mildew stains developed in two months.
The texture of the caulk also became uneven. Try some GE caulk the
next time.