Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Dap kitchen and bath caulk still tacky?

On Nov 11, 1:02 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Nov 11, 12:44 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Should I be worried? Tube says "shower in three hours;" I finished
recaulking bathtub about 1AM and caulk is still tacky. I did lay down a
huge ugly finger-smoothed bead as the tile work next to the tub was not
so neat. (not sloppy, just huge - probably 3/16" or more) This is the
Dap kitchen and bath white silicone.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Huge beads of silicone will often shrink and cause gaps. This is a
drawback to silicone.

You have it backwards...the one thing silicones do better is minimal
shrinkage on cure. Easily confirmed by checking manufacturers'
specifications. The OP's problem is that the air was too dry to
promote cure which requires moisture.

Joe