Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Roof cement to adhere shingles?

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

For something this size I'd probably go with short screws. You can always
add washers if you think the heads are too small.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Will work fine.

Next time for the animal type buildings, consider rolled roofing. Do the
job in warm weather.

--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement
wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

It would help answer the OP's question if he would give us a little
more background. How big is the hutch? How tall? If it is small
enough to glue the shingles down without having to crawl around, it
would probably be fine to glue them with roofing cement. On something
that small, I don't think felt is necessary. I don't think they'd
take much abuse, however, like walking on them, large amounts of snow
and ice, etc. Perhaps as someone suggested a urethane caulk would be
better. You might want to experiment. Having said that, I still think
you'd be better off with some type of nail, though itdepends on the
project. What are the consequences if a shingle falls off? If it's
no big deal, then go for it. If the owner is going to sue your ass
for emotional damages because their bunnies got wet, then better nail
down with 5 nails per, two layers of ice and water, tar every shingle,
etc .

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:
Or how about using metal roofing, couple sheets of barn type tin would make
a nice roof

Or aluminum sheets sold in rolls for flashing. Available at HD, Lowes,
or other hardware stores

wrote in message
ups.com...

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:
Or how about using metal roofing, couple sheets of barn type tin would
make a nice roof

Or aluminum sheets sold in rolls for flashing. Available at HD, Lowes, or
other hardware stores

wrote in message
ups.com...

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sounds to me like a good application for a heavy duty stapler with staples
of a suitable length.

Don Young

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RF RF is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:
Or how about using metal roofing, couple sheets of barn type tin would
make a nice roof

Or aluminum sheets sold in rolls for flashing. Available at HD, Lowes, or
other hardware stores

wrote in message
ups.com...

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sounds to me like a good application for a heavy duty stapler with staples
of a suitable length.

Don Young

Roofing cement is the way to go. It is typically a black tarry stuff and
works very well.
I used it on a real house a few years ago and not a shingle has blown
off despite several storms.
No staples, thank you.

RF
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:
Or how about using metal roofing, couple sheets of barn type tin would
make a nice roof

Or aluminum sheets sold in rolls for flashing. Available at HD, Lowes, or
other hardware stores

wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

OK, I did it with roofing cement. The metal roof would have been an
alternative, but i had a bunch of shingles already. I cemented them
all down and let it sit for a week. Then I loaded it in the back of
my truck with the bottoms of the shingles facing into the wind driving
(it was above my rooftop of the cab). They stayed on at 55MPH for 5
miles, so I think they will hold OK! Thanks for the replies.