Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
[email protected] beerguzzler50@yahoo.com is offline

Default Roof cement to adhere shingles?

On Nov 13, 7:00 pm, RF wrote:
Don Young wrote:
"Erik Dillenkofer" wrote in message
Or, a thicker plywood roof and shorter nails.

"willshak" wrote in message
on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:
Or how about using metal roofing, couple sheets of barn type tin would
make a nice roof

Or aluminum sheets sold in rolls for flashing. Available at HD, Lowes, or
other hardware stores

wrote in message
egroups.com...

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the
plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3
tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has
dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want
something trouble free.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sounds to me like a good application for a heavy duty stapler with staples
of a suitable length.

Don Young

Roofing cement is the way to go. It is typically a black tarry stuff and
works very well.
I used it on a real house a few years ago and not a shingle has blown
off despite several storms.
No staples, thank you.

RF

OK, I did it with roofing cement. The metal roof would have been an
alternative, but i had a bunch of shingles already. I cemented them
all down and let it sit for a week. Then I loaded it in the back of
my truck with the bottoms of the shingles facing into the wind driving
(it was above my rooftop of the cab). They stayed on at 55MPH for 5
miles, so I think they will hold OK! Thanks for the replies.