Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:14:00 -0500, Jeff DeWitt
wrote:

How about getting them saved? Then they would be free to drive a car
instead of being in stupid bondage. Many Amish own and drive vehicles.
Driving a buggy instead of a car will not get them to heaven and driving a
car will not send them to hell.

Maybe they are right and you are wrong.

Jeff DeWitt

Everytime I have to spend a few hours under the hood or under my car
doing something like exhaust work, I think "they are right".....
I'd much rather care for my horses than be laying in the dirt with
bloody knuckles, under a car cussing at some rusted bolt on a piece of
steel, that is ****ing me off...... And when I have to pay for the
car loan, or spend $100 for a tire, I also think they are right.......

On the other hand, when I see them doing laundry in a large tub, over
a wood fire, outdoors on a cold winter day, I'll stick to my automatic
washer inside the house, even if it does need a costly parts from time
to time.....

As far as getting them "saved", I'll leave that to the fire dept. or
paramedics when they have an accident. I still do not understand the
religious aspect of that word, because every religions has their own
interpretation......

Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair

According to Jeff DeWitt :

Yeah, but don't overlook the really negative things about them. It's

not at all
pretty and quaint. It's a cult. Women and children are "property" and the
accepted way to communicate with them is to beat them. Nice.

You could say the same thing about Islam...

You could say the same thing about individuals/subgroups of just
about every religion, and extending it to describe the whole religion
is as wrong as it is with the Amish.

There are one or two subgroups of the Amish that could potentially
be properly described as cults, and others that operate completely
differently. As there are (rather more than one or two) of
christianity, islam or the jewish faith.

Jonestown/Crusades/Inquistion != christianity
Wahabi != islam
A religious jew that we knew well went on a pilgrimage to
Israel, and after he came back remarked on the extreme variation
of religious observance between individual congregations of the
same group. Eg: fine points of dietary laws in kosher households -
like, one microwave or two? One dishwasher or two? He put it rather
strongly - "Rabbi personality cults" (based around individual and
differing interpretation/concessions of practicality of the same laws).
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I wish they made some
bicycle generators that were a higher output. I think those common
ones are just 1.5 volts (or less). Too bad they dont make a 12V model
(or do they?).

It's been many years since I checked, but it seems to me the generator on the
tire thing I had was more like 6V.

Bob

Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I wish they made some
bicycle generators that were a higher output. I think those common
ones are just 1.5 volts (or less). Too bad they dont make a 12V model
(or do they?).

It's been many years since I checked, but it seems to me the generator on the
tire thing I had was more like 6V.

I just dug one out of a box. With a DVM connected to it, no load, sweeping my
arm across the ground (3-6 ft/sec?), I got 3 VDC. So 6 VDC at speed might be
right. I would expect that since it produced DC, you could wire more than one in
series for higher voltage. For that matter, get a good (lower speed) DC motor,
put a small "tire" on the shaft, and see how that works. I would expect that the
higher the voltage motor it is, the higher voltage you'd get out. A low speed
motor would probably produce more voltage at buggy speeds than a 18000 rpm
motor. This would cost way less than solar panels.

Bob

Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

[...]

Yes, there is a lot to like and respect about their lifestyle, but I'm a
BIG fan of modern technology, and things like central heat, AC,
refrigators, microwave ovens and of course computers and the internet
(of course I also push a mouse for a living!).

Jeff DeWitt

This from a man whose pickup truck was made by a company better known
for one- and two-horsepower "vehicles"

nate

(still a little bitter at JP about that one, although it sounds like
you've had your share of "issues" with it!)