Posted to alt.autos,alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Connecting an Alternator to horse drawn buggy

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I wish they made some
bicycle generators that were a higher output. I think those common
ones are just 1.5 volts (or less). Too bad they dont make a 12V model
(or do they?).

It's been many years since I checked, but it seems to me the generator on the
tire thing I had was more like 6V.

I just dug one out of a box. With a DVM connected to it, no load, sweeping my
arm across the ground (3-6 ft/sec?), I got 3 VDC. So 6 VDC at speed might be
right. I would expect that since it produced DC, you could wire more than one in
series for higher voltage. For that matter, get a good (lower speed) DC motor,
put a small "tire" on the shaft, and see how that works. I would expect that the
higher the voltage motor it is, the higher voltage you'd get out. A low speed
motor would probably produce more voltage at buggy speeds than a 18000 rpm
motor. This would cost way less than solar panels.

Bob