Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tv Antenna question

I just put a rotor on my tv antenna. I forgot to look what direction
I had the antenna pointed before I took it off the mast. The rotor
manual says to point it North when I install it. My question is which
end should point North? The antanna (like all of them) are shaped
like and arrow (the long bars form the arrow), and it has a tail (the
real short bars which form a wedge). Should the "arrow" (long bars)
point north, or the tail? In other words, which end should point to
the station I want to receive?

Thanks
Alvin

Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

The section of the antenna with the short bars should point toward the TV
transmitter. The long bars are reflectors which, as the name suggests,
reflect bits of the signal back to the "front" of the antenna.

TKM

wrote in message
I just put a rotor on my tv antenna. I forgot to look what direction
I had the antenna pointed before I took it off the mast. The rotor
manual says to point it North when I install it. My question is which
end should point North? The antanna (like all of them) are shaped
like and arrow (the long bars form the arrow), and it has a tail (the
real short bars which form a wedge). Should the "arrow" (long bars)
point north, or the tail? In other words, which end should point to
the station I want to receive?

Thanks
Alvin

Posted to alt.home.repair

A bit of advice about the rotor...

If you imagine the rotor is like a clock and 12:00 is North, and when the
rotor turns fully clockwise, it stops at North. And to get to say the 1:00
position, the rotor would need to turn almost fully counter-clockwise. Note
that these rotors turn quite slowly.

Then say before installing, you connect the rotor control to the rotor, then
power it up and rotate the rotor to North as indicated on the rotor control.

Then install the rotor on the roof with the antenna pointing North.

Then say you have some TV stations at 11:00 and other stations at 1:00. You
will need to activate the rotor control to rotate the antenna almost fully
counter-clockwise to get to 1:00! And this will take a long time for the
antenna to rotate all the way around!

So if you have stations at 11:00 and at 1:00, then make "North" be maybe
2:00. Then you can go back and forth between 1:00 and 11:00 much more
quickly. You can ignore the directions on the rotor control and just mark
(with marker or sticky tape) where various stations are on the dial.

wrote in message
I just put a rotor on my tv antenna. I forgot to look what direction
I had the antenna pointed before I took it off the mast. The rotor
manual says to point it North when I install it. My question is which
end should point North? The antanna (like all of them) are shaped
like and arrow (the long bars form the arrow), and it has a tail (the
real short bars which form a wedge). Should the "arrow" (long bars)
point north, or the tail? In other words, which end should point to
the station I want to receive?

Thanks
Alvin

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just put a rotor on my tv antenna. I forgot to look what direction
I had the antenna pointed before I took it off the mast. The rotor
manual says to point it North when I install it. My question is which
end should point North? The antanna (like all of them) are shaped
like and arrow (the long bars form the arrow), and it has a tail (the
real short bars which form a wedge). Should the "arrow" (long bars)
point north, or the tail? In other words, which end should point to
the station I want to receive?

Look up Yagi Antenna on Wikepedia (or elsewhere) if you want some
theory.

Beachcomber