Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another TV antenna question

I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the house
and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the house
and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Hi,
I wouldn't worry at that height.
Posted to alt.home.repair

maybe ask the local electrical inspector for his localized tips.
grounding is common, but it may be that the soil of the pole is
providing a ground, subject to climate, soil type, and local codes.
lightning info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_arrestor

Kurt Gavin wrote:
I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the house
and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:
I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the house
and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Myself - I'd give it a ground rod. It may not be the highest thing
around, but it is a conductor.
My brother had a light pole, lower than surrounding trees, hit by
lightening messing up several of his appliances.
Frank

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to follow the local codes. I would want it grounded, but I
tend to be very concerned about things like lighting. We get a lot of it
around here. I had my A/C knocked out be a strike once and I was about to
buy a home and in the two days between the time I had decided to buy and
when I was able to get a hold of the realtor, it had been struck by
lightning and suffered great damage.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
k.net...
I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the
house and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
You need to follow the local codes. I would want it grounded, but I
tend to be very concerned about things like lighting. We get a lot of it
around here. I had my A/C knocked out be a strike once and I was about to
buy a home and in the two days between the time I had decided to buy and
when I was able to get a hold of the realtor, it had been struck by
lightning and suffered great damage.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
k.net...
I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the
house and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

I thought we settled this yesterday. The antenna mast should be
connected to a ground rod. The cable should have a lightning arrestor
connected to a ground rod near where it enters the building. If
either one of these is too far to be easily tied to the existing
ground, then I would use seperate grounds.

At 7 ft, it's not nearly the risk of a chimney mounted mast, but it
still has some risk, and I would do it right.