Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another TV antenna question

Joseph Meehan wrote:
You need to follow the local codes. I would want it grounded, but I
tend to be very concerned about things like lighting. We get a lot of it
around here. I had my A/C knocked out be a strike once and I was about to
buy a home and in the two days between the time I had decided to buy and
when I was able to get a hold of the realtor, it had been struck by
lightning and suffered great damage.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
k.net...
I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the
house and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

I thought we settled this yesterday. The antenna mast should be
connected to a ground rod. The cable should have a lightning arrestor
connected to a ground rod near where it enters the building. If
either one of these is too far to be easily tied to the existing
ground, then I would use seperate grounds.

At 7 ft, it's not nearly the risk of a chimney mounted mast, but it
still has some risk, and I would do it right.