Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Another TV antenna question

Kurt Gavin wrote:
I've got a standard aluminum TV antenna, mounted about 10 ft from the house
and 7 ft off the ground (it works fine that way).

It's definitely not the highest thing around. Do I need to worry about
grounding the thing?

I can easily mount the antenna on a wooden fence post instead of a metal
post, and therefore cut down on metal exposure - if that would help any.

The problem is, the cable inputs are about 70 feet from the power system
ground, so it's going be a hassle and some cost in doing the job right.

I was hoping to give it its own ground rod and call it good, but I guess
you're supposed to then wire that rod to the power system rod, so I'm back
to stringing expensive thick wire all around my patio, etc.

Myself - I'd give it a ground rod. It may not be the highest thing
around, but it is a conductor.
My brother had a light pole, lower than surrounding trees, hit by
lightening messing up several of his appliances.
Frank

Thanks