Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical - 24v residential light switches

My older house has these 24v, low voltage light switches made by
GE(circa 1950's) for the kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom. At each
fixture, there is a 110v-24v transformer. I want to replace the
switch, it's broken, but can't find a part#, name or anything.

None of the electrical wholesalers, retail or anyone has heard of
these.

I've got a broken one, and others that I would like updated.
Has anyone heard/seen what these are??

I can email a picture if needed.

thanks,
samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Those things at the lighting outlets are relays. There is usually one large
transformer to power the system, generally located at your service. The
rocker switches are available although they are a slightly different style.
The most difficult thing to find are the cover plates. Here is the link to
the electrical supply that carries this stuff. I would suggest calling them
to describe what you need. http://www.dale-electric.com/

"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in message
news
My older house has these 24v, low voltage light switches made by
GE(circa 1950's) for the kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom. At each
fixture, there is a 110v-24v transformer. I want to replace the
switch, it's broken, but can't find a part#, name or anything.

None of the electrical wholesalers, retail or anyone has heard of
these.

I've got a broken one, and others that I would like updated.
Has anyone heard/seen what these are??

I can email a picture if needed.

thanks,
samurai.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in message
news
My older house has these 24v, low voltage light switches made by
GE(circa 1950's) for the kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom. At each
fixture, there is a 110v-24v transformer. I want to replace the
switch, it's broken, but can't find a part#, name or anything.

None of the electrical wholesalers, retail or anyone has heard of
these.

I've got a broken one, and others that I would like updated.
Has anyone heard/seen what these are??

In addition to RBM said, there are two wire switches and three wire
switches. It just depends on the type of system that was originally
installed. If you can only find three wire switches, you can just put a
jumper from the common to one of the other terminals to make it work. I
think that one brand name is Touchplate. Remcon makes replacements.

http://www.alltestequipment.com/cgi-...id=1&type=elec

http://michaelselectric.com/catalog/...roducts_id=458

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
Those things at the lighting outlets are relays. There is usually one large
transformer to power the system, generally located at your service. The
rocker switches are available although they are a slightly different style.
The most difficult thing to find are the cover plates. Here is the link to
the electrical supply that carries this stuff. I would suggest calling them
to describe what you need. http://www.dale-electric.com/

Probably, the reason the plates are hard
to get, is that the switch style,
and therefore the plate cutouts, have
been changed some time in the
past. I put some of these
relays/switches in my church in about 1986.
These were the "old style" switches.
When one failed, about 8 years
ago, I had to replace the switch and the
plate, as the old plate didn't fit
the newer switches. BTW, last I looked,
both switches and relays are
available at electrical supply houses,
but usually not all of them. I've never
seen them at big box stores.

"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in message
news
My older house has these 24v, low voltage light switches made by
GE(circa 1950's) for the kitchen, bedrooms, and bathroom. At each
fixture, there is a 110v-24v transformer. I want to replace the
switch, it's broken, but can't find a part#, name or anything.

None of the electrical wholesalers, retail or anyone has heard of
these.

I've got a broken one, and others that I would like updated.
Has anyone heard/seen what these are??

I can email a picture if needed.

thanks,
samurai.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:41:14 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

[...]

Thnaks everyone.
The G.E. low volatge 24v wiring system in my house is replaced with
the following part#:

G.E. switch (single) - ivory RS2-32
Wall plate 1 gang, 1 switch - RP2-117

If you search/ask for these part numbers, it will lead you in the
right direction for other configurations.

samurai.