Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Residential Electrical Grounding - 2005 NEC

I'm upgrading the electrical service in my Minneapolis home from 60 amp
to 200 amp. The service entrance, from weatherhead to the main panel,
is installed. The next step is grounding the system. The 2005 NEC is
unavailable in my library and I can't find a Minnesota Code resource
and I want to know what is required for this step. All of the books
I'm referencing (including Wiring Simplified and Rex Cauldwell's Wiring
a House) seem to have variations.

I think I'm supposed to ground from the neutral bus bar to a water pipe
within 5 feet of where it enters the house, and supplement it with a
grounding rod. This would entail running 6 AWG copper from the main
panel approximately 30 feet to a point near the water meter, then
bonding to a grounding rod that's already in place a few feet away in a
sump pit.

I would appreciate any advice on code requirements for this matter.

Thank you,
Alan

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You need to speak to the authority having jurisdiction in your area. In NY
we would run a number 4 attached to the water pipe on the street side of the
water meter with a jumper to the house side of the meter, then a separate
number 4 to two ground rods driven six feet apart. Both conductors terminate
at the neutral ground buss

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, on 23
Aug 2006 18:59:37 -0700, wrote:

The 2005 NEC is
unavailable in my library and I can't find a Minnesota Code resource
and I want to know what is required for this step.

The 2005 NEC is available online at:
http://nfpa-acs-01.gvpi.net:8080/rrs...NFPASTD/7005SB

Here's a bunch of stuff on your state web site, which may or may not be
helpful:

http://www.electricity.state.mn.us

Ain't Google grand? ;-)

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair

a related question, my service was replaced and upgraded from 60 to 100
amp about 12 years ago. the grounding with rods and water line was all
upgraded too.

if i go from 100 to 200 amp main do the ground system need replaced
again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as checking with the local authorities- they have been
unprofessional and uncooperative. Perhaps they're overworked and
underpaid, or maybe they don't like non-professionals doing this work.

Either way, I did extensive research before tackling this project and I
had a few simple questions that just weren't clear in any of the books
or online resources I consulted. Several phone calls to the Minnesota
inspector's office have been met with short, curt answers- pretty much
hanging up on me.

The MN State inspections site has absolutely no information pertinent
to this question on it. In fact, it has practically no information on
electrical codes at all.

The NFPA site you sent is for a resource to buy the code.

Thanks anyways for your replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, on
23 Aug 2006 20:41:32 -0700, wrote:

The NFPA site you sent is for a resource to buy the code.

No, it's the actual 2005 NEC, viewable from a Java applet. If it's not
working for you, try reading the instructions he
http://nfpa-acs-01.gvpi.net:8080/rrserver/help_en.html

Possibly this link will work better for you:
http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?c...0&itemID=21227
&URL=Publications/necdigest/Review%20the%20NEC%AE%20online

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z51112F9D

Click on the link that says "Visitors have online access to the 2005
National Electrical Code®."

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The conductors used in 100 amp service are to small for 200 and would have
to be replaced
wrote in message
ps.com...
a related question, my service was replaced and upgraded from 60 to 100
amp about 12 years ago. the grounding with rods and water line was all
upgraded too.

if i go from 100 to 200 amp main do the ground system need replaced
again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the advice.
Seth- I was able to access the code, thanks.
Alan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:11:57 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

You need to speak to the authority having jurisdiction in your area. In NY
we would run a number 4 attached to the water pipe on the street side of the
water meter with a jumper to the house side of the meter, then a separate
number 4 to two ground rods driven six feet apart. Both conductors terminate
at the neutral ground buss

Although the ground rod conductor (the supplemental electrode), only
has to be 6AWG, per 2005 NEC 250.53-E, using 4AWG means less
restrictions to installation, due to possible physical damage.

Good idea.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Aug 2006 20:41:32 -0700, wrote:

As far as checking with the local authorities- they have been
unprofessional and uncooperative. Perhaps they're overworked and
underpaid, or maybe they don't like non-professionals doing this work.

Either way, I did extensive research before tackling this project and I
had a few simple questions that just weren't clear in any of the books
or online resources I consulted. Several phone calls to the Minnesota
inspector's office have been met with short, curt answers- pretty much
hanging up on me.

The MN State inspections site has absolutely no information pertinent
to this question on it. In fact, it has practically no information on
electrical codes at all.

The NFPA site you sent is for a resource to buy the code.

Thanks anyways for your replies.

You have learned a very valuable lession. Our local inspectors are
very helpful, but I've heard teh nightmares people run into trying to
get help.

the typical responses I hear:
1. We are not your boses, or you instructors.
2. You need to know how to do your job first before bothering us.
3. We enforce the codes, not work practices.

etc, etc, etc.

I understand why they do this, they only want highly competent trades
people performing work. No DIY'ers.

Good luck with you aquiring of knowledge, but remember your inspectors
are an important part to getting your work completed, and done safely.

later,

tom @
www.CarFleaMarket.com