Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold Air in Light Switches and Electrical Outlets

We recently purchased a new home (new construction). As the weather
has gotten colder, I've started to notice cold air coming in through
my electrical outlets and light switches. (The light switches are
actually cold to the touch.) This is only occurring on the first
floor of my home and only along the northern exterior wall. Outlets
on all other exterior walls, and even the northern exterior wall on
the second floor, are fine.

The one thing that has me concerned is that the home is an "Energy
Star" home, so the cold air in the outlets and light switches was very
unexpected. I know that they used Tyvek wrap along with several other
insulating features when building the home. (If you're interested in
reading more about their insulating technique, it can be found on
their web site here... http://www.finelinehomes.com/features.asp).

I've read some tips here about the insulating gaskets for the
outlets. I've also read the tips about placing the child safety caps
in the outlets. I'm going to look into this, but my question is...
Is this an issue I should raise with the builder, or is this normal
for a home, even one that's supposed to be energy efficient?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If you have cold air flowing from the switches and
outlets you have cold air in the walls which means
holes weren't sealed and their is a lack of proper
insulation installed. That should not happen in
an Energy Star home. Talk to the builder, but are
you willing to have the walls torn up and replaced?
Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 29 Jan 2007 14:33:19 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid the damage they would do would be worse than spending a
couple of bucks on a can or two of spray foam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You are probly noticing a chimney effect occuring. Cold air is enter
lower areas of your home, and exiting upper areas. I am a fan of
those foam gaskets you put on outlet boxes.

As for energy efficient, it's relative. I've been inside homes that
were 'air tight' but had bare minimum insulation.

tom @ www.YourMoneySavingTips.com