blueman

Default Should switches/outlets/wiring nuts be wrapped in electrical tape?

I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer
instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or
outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.

On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from
a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?

[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the
risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin)
while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will
pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into
the box.]
Ross Mac

"blueman" wrote in message
I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer
instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or
outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.

On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from
a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?

[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the
risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin)
while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will
pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into
the box.]

Personally I hate electrical tape....Electrical connections exhibit heat and
tape peels off when heated....so much for my rant! I'm sure some of the
electricians on this NG are going to let me have it with that
comment....ready for a whippin'....Ross

William Deans

Greetings,

I wouldn't wrap the wire-nuts no matter how much free time I had.

Wrapping sockets might not be a bad idea. Tenants, etc break plastic outlet
covers from time to time and a wrapped socket is slightly harder to
electrocute yourself with.

Hope this helps,
William

"blueman" wrote in message
I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer
instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or
outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.

On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from
a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?

[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the
risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin)
while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will
pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into
the box.]

Tekkie

Ross Mac posted for all of us....

.ready for a whippin'....Ross

ahh kinky kind of guy aye?
--
Tekkie

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:05:03 GMT, blueman wrote:

I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer
instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or
outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.

On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from
a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?

[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the
risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin)
while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will
pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into
the box.]

I like taping terminal screws on recepts and switches, but not wire
nuts. I've talked to inspectors, one said he sees tape on a wire nut,
he can't see if any exposed conductor, so he'll remove it to see.
Which will make him unhappy, and you want an unhappy inspector.

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Pop

Personally I hate electrical tape....Electrical connections
exhibit
heat and tape peels off when heated....so much for my rant! I'm
sure
some of the electricians on this NG are going to let me have it
with
that comment....ready for a whippin'....Ross

You're right; in my experience, the tape doesn't peel; instead,
it sort of gels itself into and around whatever it's wrapped
around. It sounds like you use soft rubber tape that can be
stretched and that you stretch it to near it's limit as you apply
it. Which, by the way, can also LOOSEN a wire nut, depending on
the wrap direction of the tape.
One should not be so p-h-i-l-o-p-o-L-e-m-i-c
lest they be seen as disputatious.

Pop

William Deans wrote:
Greetings,

I wouldn't wrap the wire-nuts no matter how much free time I
had.

Wrapping sockets might not be a bad idea. Tenants, etc break
plastic
outlet covers from time to time and a wrapped socket is
slightly
harder to electrocute yourself with.

It also helps a little when the screws should loosen up and let
the fixture slip sideways or tild in the box. I've seen wires
bent and strips long enough that the wires can actually touch the
box if it slips sideways just a bit. There isn't a lot of room
on the sides sometimes, depending on the switch type and mfg and
box size. Especially GFCI's when they first came out.

Pop

SQLit

"blueman" wrote in message
I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer
instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or
outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.

On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from
a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?

[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the
risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin)
while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will
pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into
the box.]

non metallic boxes, I do not, ever. Really full metal boxes, sometimes. I
try to avoid really full boxes of any construction.
Your doing the work you get to decide.

Ross Mac

"Pop" wrote in message
Personally I hate electrical tape....Electrical connections exhibit
heat and tape peels off when heated....so much for my rant! I'm sure
some of the electricians on this NG are going to let me have it with
that comment....ready for a whippin'....Ross

You're right; in my experience, the tape doesn't peel; instead, it sort of
gels itself into and around whatever it's wrapped around. It sounds like
you use soft rubber tape that can be stretched and that you stretch it to
near it's limit as you apply it. Which, by the way, can also LOOSEN a
wire nut, depending on the wrap direction of the tape.
One should not be so p-h-i-l-o-p-o-L-e-m-i-c
lest they be seen as disputatious.

Trust me...30 years in the electronic biz, I know how to use tape but just
don't. I always prefered shrink tube....Whether the tape is vinyl or cloth,
it peels under heat, gums everything up......so much for my rant!...Ross

Mr Fixit eh

There are 2 types of electrical tape. The cheapo 49 cent stuff is
dangerous because it can burst into flames. Professional grade tape
like Scotch 33 is fire retardant.

There is a time and a place for electrical tape. A large device in a
small metal box sometimes needs to be wrapped to prevent accidental
contact between the terminal screw and the side of the box.

Mr Fixit eh

m Ransley

Cheap will burst into flames? Only if you put a match to it.

Playintennis5274

could you use a torch instead of a match?
Duane Bozarth

Mr Fixit eh wrote:

... it can burst into flames.

From what ignition source?

There is a time and a place for electrical tape. A large device in a
small metal box sometimes needs to be wrapped to prevent accidental
contact between the terminal screw and the side of the box.

If it does, the box it in isn't big enough for the device...
Junior Member

Location: NY
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman View Post
I know that according to code and according to (most) manufacturer
instructions there is no need to wrap the terminals of switches or
outlets with electrical tape or to reinforce wiring nuts with tape.

On the other hand, if you have the time, is it still a good idea from
a safety and belt-and-suspenders perspective to apply a layer of tape?

[It seems to me that adding tape to outlets/switches just minimizes the
risk that the terminals will rub up against something metal (or skin)
while taping over wiring nuts just decreases the risk that they will
pull off if you get to agressive in pushing or pulling the wires into
the box.]
Electrical tape is made of vinyl, which melts. people that wrap wire nuts, receptacles, switches etc, have no real understanding of what they are doing.
The Job I'm currently on, I'm redoing everything the previous 'electrician/contractor' did, b/c he's an idiot. He taped every wire nut, b/c he didn't bother to twist his wires together b4 twisting the wire nut on it. and all of his devices are taped b/c he didn't bother to tighten anything.
Senior Member

I'm of the opinion that there's no need to tape over the screw terminals.

That's because regardless of what you're trying to avoid or accomplish, at some point the benefit becomes smaller than the hassle it creates.

In this case, whomever has to replace that switch or receptacle in future is gonna get that tape glue all over his hands, and it's gonna end up on the wall and on his tools and pi$$ing him off.

It's exactly the same reason why I don't tie my shoelaces with a triple box knot to ensure they don't come off and I don't affix my postage with epoxy.

Last edited by nestork : September 12th 12 at 07:54 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mr Fixit eh, Hank Jochade wrote:
Exactly what happened to me - the GFCI is so wide, one of the "Load" side
screws was touching the metal box - I did not see that - HOWEVER, after 40
years of electrical installations, I still don't wrap the device - Making
sure the screws don't touch the side, I tighten it enough so it won't move.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...al-583539-.htm