Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Priming and Painting

My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She used
a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a bubble.
She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My assumption is
that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as to how we can fix
things?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 11:15 am, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She used
a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a bubble.
She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My assumption is
that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as to how we can fix
things?

Itcould have been a greasy spot, in any case you should at least
break the gloss with solvent or sandpaper to get good adhesion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 14, 11:31 am, beecrofter wrote:
On Oct 14, 11:15 am, "Ultraglide"
wrote:

My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She used
a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a bubble.
She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My assumption is
that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as to how we can fix
things?

Itcould have been a greasy spot, in any case you should at least
break the gloss with solvent or sandpaper to get good adhesion.

dont pick at bubles or pimples they get infected

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:
My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She used
a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a bubble.
She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My assumption is
that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as to how we can fix
things?

Glossy old finish? Washed well before painting? Possibly she used a
fan or heater to dry the paint, or bright sun was on the area causing it
to dry too fast? Blistering is commonly from either suface drying too
fast and solvent trapped under the film, or surface was damp and water
caused the blister. You can pierce blisters and often they will flatten
out and not be a problem. Latex on top of a properly cleaned and dry
alkyd should not be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just found out that she had wallpaper on the wall so I bought some
stripper to take the paint off. Hopefully both the primer and the previous
paint will come off.
"Norminn" wrote in message
Ultraglide wrote:
My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She
used a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a
bubble. She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My
assumption is that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as
to how we can fix things?

Glossy old finish? Washed well before painting? Possibly she used a fan
or heater to dry the paint, or bright sun was on the area causing it to
dry too fast? Blistering is commonly from either suface drying too fast
and solvent trapped under the film, or surface was damp and water caused
the blister. You can pierce blisters and often they will flatten out and
not be a problem. Latex on top of a properly cleaned and dry alkyd should
not be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ultraglide wrote:

I just found out that she had wallpaper on the wall so I bought some
stripper to take the paint off. Hopefully both the primer and the previous
paint will come off.

Good grief! Don't use paint remover! There are loads of posts on this
newsgroup about removing wallpaper. Just pull off the paper. If you
try to use paint remover, you will have a goshawful mess.

Unless there are many blisters, or the paint is peeling, you may not
have to do anything. If it looks good and stays on, leave it.

You can generally remove paper quite easily and google will give you
lots of hits. Messy but not difficult.

"Norminn" wrote in message

Ultraglide wrote:

My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She
used a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a
bubble. She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My
assumption is that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as
to how we can fix things?

Glossy old finish? Washed well before painting? Possibly she used a fan
or heater to dry the paint, or bright sun was on the area causing it to
dry too fast? Blistering is commonly from either suface drying too fast
and solvent trapped under the film, or surface was damp and water caused
the blister. You can pierce blisters and often they will flatten out and
not be a problem. Latex on top of a properly cleaned and dry alkyd should
not be a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

I'm curious, does anyone in the house smoke?
Lou

Priming my New Drywall [email protected] Home Repair 10 April 6th 07 02:51 AM
House painting\priming MH Home Repair 6 July 10th 06 02:06 PM
Priming cedar trim Norm Dion Home Repair 1 May 15th 06 08:42 PM
? priming drywall mig Home Repair 11 March 3rd 06 02:53 AM
'Priming' old UPS batteries Seri UK diy 49 April 28th 05 06:07 PM