Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Priming and Painting

Ultraglide wrote:
My mother just called me to say that she is painting her bathroom. She used
a latex primer. When she went back to check the job she noticed a bubble.
She picked at the bubble and some of the paint peeled off. My assumption is
that the previous paint was oil-based. Any suggestions as to how we can fix
things?

Glossy old finish? Washed well before painting? Possibly she used a
fan or heater to dry the paint, or bright sun was on the area causing it
to dry too fast? Blistering is commonly from either suface drying too
fast and solvent trapped under the film, or surface was damp and water
caused the blister. You can pierce blisters and often they will flatten
out and not be a problem. Latex on top of a properly cleaned and dry
alkyd should not be a problem.