Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Protecting my deck this winter

I just moved into a house. The deck appears to be in good shape,
except that the latest coat of oil based stain is peeling quite a
bit. I'm guessing its from snow sitting on it in the winter, as I am
located in the Chicago area. At this point, its too cold for me to
strip and re-stain.

I'd like to protect the wood this winter. Would putting a tarp over
it be reasonable? I read that this may not be a good idea, as it
would cause rot from lack of ventilation. So what's worse - bare wood
with snow sitting on it, or bare wood with a tarp covering the top of
it? Obviously air would still be able to travel to some extent thru
the bottom of the deck.

I guess a third option would be to just be vigilant about scooping
snow from it, but I'm not sure how practical that would be.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"someDude37" wrote in message

I'd like to protect the wood this winter. Would putting a tarp over
it be reasonable? I read that this may not be a good idea, as it
would cause rot from lack of ventilation. So what's worse - bare wood
with snow sitting on it, or bare wood with a tarp covering the top of
it? Obviously air would still be able to travel to some extent thru
the bottom of the deck.

If it is PT wood, the snow won't bother it. The peeling is probably from
being baked in the sun or poor prep. I'd just let it go until next spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 9:36 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"someDude37" wrote in message

I'd like to protect the wood this winter. Would putting a tarp over
it be reasonable? I read that this may not be a good idea, as it
would cause rot from lack of ventilation. So what's worse - bare wood
with snow sitting on it, or bare wood with a tarp covering the top of
it? Obviously air would still be able to travel to some extent thru
the bottom of the deck.

If it is PT wood, the snow won't bother it. The peeling is probably from
being baked in the sun or poor prep. I'd just let it go until next spring.

I agree, sounds like someone put a poor stain/ paint on, which causes
peeling. It will be OK for this winter, the snow and rain will not
damage it. Wait till next year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The tarp would be just about the worst thing you could do. Snow on the wood in
cold weather is not going to soak into the wood much. I'd just wait till next
year to worry about it.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

someDude37 wrote in news:1192319510.128177.157860
@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I use my leaf blower year round. Snow from decks & walk is removed easily
providing it hasn't been trampled and packed down. Can do a whole deck in
a few minutes.

Great for blowing off vehicles as well.

latest coat of oil based stain is peeling quite a bit.

Wonder how wet it was when put on...the deck I mean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in
:

Your snow must be a lot lighter than our snow, I don't think a blower
would make a dent in the wet 18" deep snowfalls we tend to get in NJ.
A heavy duty pushbroom gets it right off the deck as long as the deck
has a nice coat of stain/sealer on it, unless it falls wet then
freezes overnight into a solid layer before you move it. In that case
your in for a lot more work with a shovel, and risk scraping the
boards if your not real careful. It's important to keep that deck
clear though so we can use the barbeque, nothing beats a nice grilled
steak in the middle of winter :-)

I've done Jersey snow, NY snow, CT snow, VT snow, and more. Yea there is a
difference for sure. Slush always comes to mind for the tri-state area.

Best snow I ever saw was in the 3 yrs I was in NC (almost SC). It snowed
once for like 3 minutes. It melted in 3 min.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all who responded. This really helps ease my mind. I will
plan on completely stripping and restaining it in the spring.

Thanks!

protecting Danish Oil Griffo Home Repair 7 March 11th 06 04:43 AM
Protecting Danish Oil Griffo UK diy 6 March 10th 06 11:08 AM
Starting possible deck work in the winter? [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 4th 05 04:22 PM
Protecting Cedar Deck Scott Home Repair 9 August 23rd 04 12:06 AM
Protecting Deck from Deck Chair Scrapes Guido Home Repair 8 June 8th 04 07:22 PM