Posted to uk.d-i-y
Griffo

Default Protecting Danish Oil

I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring
out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it?
If not, is there an alternative?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring
out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it?
If not, is there an alternative?

I just used lots of coats of Danish Oil, just keep going till no more will
soak in. The floor has been down about 2 years now and it is the most
heavily used floor in the house. It has got a few dents and scratches but
not as many as I expected and the advantage of Danish Oil is that I just rub
a rag dipped in Danish Oil over the scratches and they disappear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Griffo

Thanks Simon. When you say lots...roughly how many do you mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Simon. When you say lots...roughly how many do you mean?

I think it was about 6 coats. I thinned the Danish Oil down with white
spirit for the first two or three and they soaked straight in. The last few
coats went on neat and you could tell by the last one that no more was going
to soak in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Simon wrote:
"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks Simon. When you say lots...roughly how many do you mean?

I think it was about 6 coats. I thinned the Danish Oil down with white
spirit for the first two or three and they soaked straight in. The last few
coats went on neat and you could tell by the last one that no more was going
to soak in.

Danish oil is protection. It dries eventually and forms a film

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Simon wrote:
"Griffo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks Simon. When you say lots...roughly how many do you mean?

I think it was about 6 coats. I thinned the Danish Oil down with white
spirit for the first two or three and they soaked straight in. The last
few
coats went on neat and you could tell by the last one that no more was
going
to soak in.

Danish oil is protection. It dries eventually and forms a film

=================
How slippy is it? Safe for older unsteady legs?

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Cicero wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Simon wrote:

"Griffo" wrote in message
egroups.com...

Thanks Simon. When you say lots...roughly how many do you mean?

I think it was about 6 coats. I thinned the Danish Oil down with white
spirit for the first two or three and they soaked straight in. The last
few
coats went on neat and you could tell by the last one that no more was
going
to soak in.

Danish oil is protection. It dries eventually and forms a film

How slippy is it? Safe for older unsteady legs?

Not slippy at all